Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need help removing the rear apron

Does anyone have a step-by-step procedure to removing the rear apron? My CT came with the facorty option tow hitch and I want to remove it for some weight savings and since I never plan on towing anything with it anyways.

thanks in advance!

Its really quite easy, but you will need the lightweight bumper fitted to non hitch cars. I have mine if you want to swap.

Sequence

1 - remove rear lights

2 - Remove rear Bumper cover

3 - Remove Hitch Bumper

4 - Replace with LW Bumper

5 - Replace Bumper Cover ( you might need a new valance with no hole in it)

6 - Replace tail lights

Some useful pics

Getting the rear lights out is the hardest part, without cracking them. They are held in place with 2 screws and a ball connector. The 2 screws are behind blanking plugs you can see when the tailgate is open. I used a long thin flat bladed screwdriver and a leather glove to protect the paintwork.

With the screws out the lights will move, but to get them out of their ball socket go around the side of the car, use the leather glove to protect the paint, slide the drive in behind the light about a third the way up.

Now this is not a brute force thing, its a gentle force over time. I leaned on the handle while holding the drive with one hand supporting the light with my other.

Keep firm pressure on but do not jerk it just keep steady pressure until it pops out.

Undo the light connector and thats it.

The bumper cover has a bunch of torx screws underneath and around the wheel arch, including one hidden underneath the wheel liner

Once these are all off the cover will slide rearward and off.

(I think I remembered everything)

I used a jack to support the bumper, its very heavy, the replacement is easily held in one hand while you put the screws in.

There you go. If you want to swap, email me at mikem@mss1.com

Does anyone have a step-by-step procedure to removing the rear apron? My CT came with the facorty option tow hitch and I want to remove it for some weight savings and since I never plan on towing anything with it anyways.

thanks in advance!

Mudman's description is basically correct. I replaced my lightweight bumper with a hitch. Here are a few random thoughts:

- One big gotcha to avoid. The bolts for the two types of bumpers are different sizes. Be sure you have the correct bolts (8 of them) for the lightweight bumper.

- Also be sure you have the foam piece for the replacement bumper.

- If you have keyless entry there is an antenna that lays sideways in the foam piece. You will have to disconnect the antenna lead that goes into the left quarter panel cavity behind the rear wheel well.

- Get help sliding the rear apron on and off. It is an awkward shape, is made of flexible plastic, and it doesn't want to go where you want it to go. It is much safer to do this with two people to avoid paint scratches.

- If you remove the hitch controller unit (rear cargo side panel compartment forward of the CD changer) you will need to have a bunch of faults cleared with a PST2. Or you can just leave the controller in there - it doesn't weigh much. :)

Have fun.