Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996TT broken tail light base

Hi folks,

Today, I noticed that both rear tail lights had a broken the plastic bracket base. Apparently the screws were so tight that cracked the plastic base. There's any solution for this or I had to replace the entire tail light?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Hector prac

Haven't seen that happen before unless... over-torqued or someone hit the car from behind.

Sorry, you can only order the whole lens assembly from Porsche (MSRP $540 each) or try a salvage yard for a good set of used lens.

wow....okay....so I would wait then for the led tail light to come out. In the mid time I'll look some glue <_<

Thanks, Loren!

Similar issue here. My guess is that it happened during some of my... trackdays. When the group gathers to listen at an instructor's speech, people often sit (or lean) on the car's comfy hips. Some probably don't really pay attention and might sit on the light itself, which of course might damage it. Just a guess...

post-129-131396608558_thumb.jpg

You can use modeling plastic and putty and form or reinforce the broken areas. Takes time and patience but definitely doable and a heck of a lot less expensive. I also use rubber washers to help prevent over torqueing

I have the same problem on both lights just waiting for the LED lights sell on 6speed.:clapping:

Yeah, both too in my case. Do you have any link to this LED sell on 6speed?

• Upvote 1

You can use modeling plastic and putty and form or reinforce the broken areas. Takes time and patience but definitely doable and a heck of a lot less expensive. I also use rubber washers to help prevent over torquing

Deep....thank you very much for the hint....I'll try this next weekend :)

• 4 years later...

Hoping for a release soon.

The Light Savers are in production and a batch of "Lucky-13" will be placed on eBay Monday afternoon.  A link to the listing will be posted here on 6speed. Once the initial 13 promotionally priced units are gone, the Light Savers can be purchased from my website www.ycccdiy.com for the regular price of $79.95. Those who get the promo "Thank You" price please post  pics and reviews of product for others to see. We already have some happy customers:

Thank you

Engineerboy100

post-94431-0-30099200-1458450378_thumb.j

post-94431-0-76561600-1458450381_thumb.j

post-94431-0-73102800-1458450383_thumb.j