Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dead Battery

Hey, for the first time ever, my battery is dead on my 996TT.

It's been sitting for weeks, and before parking, I washing and listening to radio.

Well, it has enough juice to turn on interior lights, etc. It just can't turn it over enough to start.

I've heard and read that using cables can be bad on an elec system even when used properly.

What is the best way to charge it back again or start it?

Does Sears have a charger? Something that goes through the cig lighter maybe?

2nd part... How do I know if I need a new battery after it's started? (I'm guessing I can figure it out, but looking for rule of thumb)

3rd and last part...

What's the best replacement battery if I need one? I was told a gel battery if you track your car at all. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

It's been sitting for weeks, and before parking, I washing and listening to radio.

Well, it has enough juice to turn on interior lights, etc.  It just can't turn it over enough to start.

I've heard and read that using cables can be bad on an elec system even when used properly.

Does Sears have a charger?  Something that goes through the cig lighter maybe?

2nd part... How do I know if I need a new battery after it's started?  (I'm guessing I can figure it out, but looking for rule of thumb)

3rd and last part...

What's the best replacement battery if I need one?  I was told a gel battery if you track your car at all.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Scott

Most auto parts stores sell a $30 battery maintainer that has about a 12 inch quick-connect coupler that you bolt to the battery terminals. Then you can put the black plastic cowl back in that covers the battery and dangle about 2 inches of the coupler outside the cowl. I tuck it between the cowl and the gasket.

When I put my Turbo away and assume I won't be driving it for a week or more, I pop the hood, place the small battery maintainer in the trunk and connect the coupler. The cord to the wall outlet is thin enough that you can close the hood on it without any paint or gasket damage.

Finally, I've made up a little business card sized laminated sign that I stick to my steering wheel with double-sided tape that says "Disconnect Battery Maintainer." Just to make sure I never again start the car and back out of the garage while the maintainer is still plugged into the wall ..... fortunately it just ripped the cord out of the wall socket and I noticed a strange sound of the cord dragging along the ground before any damage resulted. Could've been real bad, with the cord plug whipping the side of the car if I hadn't noticed and got the car up to speed.

• 7 months later...

Well, it has enough juice to turn on interior lights, etc.  It just can't turn it over enough to start.

2nd part... How do I know if I need a new battery after it's started?  (I'm guessing I can figure it out, but looking for rule of thumb)

3rd and last part...

What's the best replacement battery if I need one?  I was told a gel battery if you track your car at all.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Scott

It is not unusual for the battery to go dead if the car sits unused for 30 days. Loren's suggestion of using a maintenace charger is excellent. WorldPac has just come out with a new line of "exact fit" batteries that use the AGM design similiar to the Optima batteries (no fluid to leak or vent). The WorldPac batteries are also "reasonably" priced.

Scott

Follow the instructions in the manual to jump start the car or disconnect both battery cables from the battery and use an overnight trickle charger to recharge the battery.

After you have recharged the battery then let the car sit for 3-5 days. If the car starts fine then the battery is okay. If it does not then replace the battery.

If you need to replace the battery there are a number of prior threads on what will work.

3rd and last part...

Thanks!

Scott

The best way to know if your battery is fully charged is to use a battery hydrometer. You do not want to use the vehicle's alternator to recharge the battery. The alternator was never designed to recharge a dead battery, and the alternator can be damaged attempting to recharge the battery.

A Maintenance battery charger will turn itself on when the battery is low, and will turn itself off, when the battery is charged. It is so much easier using a Maintenance Charger, then to attempt to revive a dead battery.

It is very risky using jumper cables to start your car, even if everything goes correctly, you may have damaged an electronic component from the surge. The battery's #1 purpose is to start the car, #2 is to act as an electrical shock absorber (capacitor). A weak battery can not absorb the everyday common surges in the electrical system.

Disconnect the battery cables and charge the battery with a 2 to 10 amp charger. Monitor the battery temperatuure and monitor the specific gravity. When the SpG is 1.275, the battery is fully charged.

Yes, Sears has many chargers.  I think it would be best to disconnect the battery cables when charging the battery.

Recharge the battery with a Battery charger, not the vehicles alternator.  It may take 3 or more days to fully charge the battery, depending on how discharged it is. 

3rd and last part...

Interstate sells excellent batteries, Model MTP91, 700CCA, exact fit.    Worldpac now has exact fit AGM batteries pt# AGM48.

Thanks!

Scott