Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alternator checks

I removed my alternator since It was not charging even alittle when cold. I removed it had it checked out and it was "good", I am installing a new regulator since it is out and am thinking of belt slippage problem since I run a custom supercharger however at this time am changing setup to get more grip on alternator.

I have a question the large wire on alt I get battery voltage but was wondering what I can check on the connector going to it if any that may cause a zero charge problem.

Edited by Mother

Not sure by what you mean "Torque"?

The cable is as old as the car 2000, but it has been in dry climate and seems I do not get any voltage build at all. Just wondering what the connector with the 2 wires that connects to the alternator do? I am replacing the alt reg anyway, but it did check out good at shop.

Edited by Mother

• Moderators

What you may want to look at it the resistance (ohms) in the battery cables. From time to time we see a car with apparent charging problems that are actually caused by high resistance cables due to internal corrosion or bad connector ends

Thanks, I will revisit that thread allot of good info... the reason I dismissed it was that you actually had voltage build, with mine I have none. It is interesting problem because it was charging fine until installing my SC which leads me to belt slippage problem but checking these things first can save me 3 hrs labor to uninstall everything.

Edited by Mother

• Moderators

I will check the battery cables I am not sure what the resistance should be. Is there a resistance value if I go from the positive cable on battery back to the cable on the alt?

There should be no resistance in the cables to and from the battery.

The voltage across bat=12.45V

alt + to ground (eng) = 12.45V

also to the terminal block in eng bay reading was 12.48V.

Replace with new reg from pelican and now alt does not work at all when tested - reinstalled old reg - retested and worked great. The PN# I got from pelican was F00M 144 136-395 and was for my year. They are checking it now.

Edited by Mother