Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

head gasket job

I'm about to embark on an 89' 944 Head gasket job, and would like to know if the haynes manual is sufficient to carry out such a job?

it's the first time i attempt such a job on a car, i've done many fixes/mods on my 996 like removing mufflers and installing short shifters, but never anything to do with opening engines.

i have checked clark's garage website which is very useful, but i would like something more detailed and more concise with clear illustrations and tools needed.

anyone can direct me as to what tools/manuals are sufficient for the job? for example to i need to buy the flywheel lock P9206?

thanks in advance!

Why are you replacing the head gasket? oil in the coolant?

These cars have a problem with the oil cooler seals leaking oil in to the cooling system and you would think you have a head gasket problem

I have never looked at the Haynes I have the factory manuls

Is it a turbo, NA or S ?

Hi Magcuda,

if you remember you replied to my first thread on my 944

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/38461-my-first-944/

basically, i haven't seen any traces of oil in coolant or white smoke out the back...

the garage said there's traces of carbon monoxide in the coolant, which was over pressuring the system causing the pipes to burst each time and spill all the coolant.

thus they said they had check the head gasket... with that came a ridiculous bill, which i interpreted as "we don't really want to work on your car, but if we are to work on it, we will rape you!!"

so, i'm thinking of trouble shooting the coolant system myself, but i don't have most of the tools.

any suggestions where to start?

thanks,

Nehme