Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Insufficient Remote TSB done, but still low range

After performing the remote DIY found here http://www.renntech....9662-made-easy/ I noticed I only marginally improved the remote distance. I searched around and actually read the TSB after the work (shame on me) where it asked to cut 100mm from the end first, THEN measure out 130mm of exposed wiring cutting the black sheathing if necessary to leave the 130mm exposed.

The question I have is what is the approximate length of the section that gets cut off is when following the DIY? Is it close to 100mm? Just trying to figure out if I should cut some black sheathing or need to add length to get to the correct length.

There seems to be a little bit of a discrepancy between the DIY and the TSB. I followed the TSB and had good improvement.

If you haven't shortened the white wire yet, cut off 100mm from the end.

Peel back the black sheathing as necessary so that 130 mm of the white wire is showing.

Re-wrap the wire bundle, keeping the white wire outside of it. ( The white wire should be facing the interior of the car.)

Arghhh, I already cut off a chunk of the white wire as per the DIY. Everything else including wrapping it on the outside and facing the interior was followed, but as the TSB notes, the length is critical. I also replaced the batteries in both keys and got the same result.

I threw away the piece I cut weeks ago when I did it never thinking I would need it. The distance definitely improved from 0-2feet up to around 8 feet, but I basically have to be right next to the car to lock/unlock.

The length is not as important as getting the white wire out of the bundle. Once it's out of the bundle and not tightly laced in with the other wires you will see a big jump in the range. Mine went from about 4 feet at best to more than 30 feet.

I would leave it loose inside the window pillar and but away from the metal frame. Position it towards the inside of the car since the inside trim will allow the signal to pass through whereas the metal frame will not.

• Moderators

The length of the antenna wire is indeed important, depending the used frequency (Hertz). US and Europe use, for example, a different frequency and a different length of the antenna wire. Anyway, it can also be the remote or the receiver inside the control box as well.