Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Electrical issues & Engine start failure

Hijack

This morning, went out and washed the car. Started up just fine, closed the top washed away. When I went to start it back up to put it away, several odd things happened. First, I got a PSM failure warning. Then as I dropped the top, the windows started to go down in abbreviated stutters. I stopped the top retraction and put the windows down with their own buttons. No problem at all and I finished putting the top down. As soon as I started to pull the car back into the garage, the PSM warning went away.

I left the car sit for 2 hours and was going to head out. Went into the garage to start it and got every light on the dash flashing and the typical fast clicking you get from a dead or dying battery!? Also strange, the windows started to try to go up in stutters as I tried to get the car started. I tried to jump it from another car, but it was no go. Same flashing dash lights, clicking and window stutter.

Is it possible that something simply got wet while washing? It never happened before, but you never know. If it's not a short caused by water, any other thoughts? I am a complete neophyte when it comes to eletrical systems. I trying searching through the existing threads, but all were beyond me. I suppose it could be anything. starter, alternator, etc...but the window thing really has me puzzled.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edited by Hijack

Additional info. Now, when left in the ON position, I am getting airbag and rollover protection failure warnings. Also, I can't close the top now. It opened the roof cover faring about 2 cm, then just stopped.

thanks again for any help.

Additional info. Now, when left in the ON position, I am getting airbag and rollover protection failure warnings. Also, I can't close the top now. It opened the roof cover faring about 2 cm, then just stopped.

thanks again for any help.

A couple of things I would be thinking about at first glance is:

1: How good is the battery and or battery contacts?whats our battery voltage?

2: Have you flooded under the passenger seat. UK car. That's where the Alarm/central locking unit is housed. A very common problem is water getting past seals and flooding the lowest part of the floor, which incidentally is where Porsche in their wisdom fitted the unit.

3: Try and get some one with a Durametric diagnostic computer to read the fault codes. By the sounds of it your going to have a few.

Best of luck.

Frank

Edited by Sunnyside

I don't think I've ever gotten the vehicle wet inside and since it's a US car, hopefully its not the issue with the control unit. But that doesn't mean it's going to be any less perplexing! The battery is almost brand new and contacts looks just fine. however, I did notice that the wires and harnesses are soaked around it. Strange. I don't know what I did to get that much water in there. At any rate, I am starting to think for certain it is a short, because now the dash and climate control panels are flashing after leaving the car on.

Edited by Hijack

Actually, its now acting like the battery is dead. Volmeter reads zero, but dash lights, radio and climate are all on? Even after having it hooked to my other car to jump for 30 minutes, it still won't turn over.

Edited by Hijack

Do more searching because I've read of that same problem several times. Not sure what year or model Porsche but on some their is an electronic component under the front bumper passenger side that after washing their Porsche their electronics went wild. Good Luck, Robert.

I don't think I've ever gotten the vehicle wet inside and since it's a US car, hopefully its not the issue with the control unit. But that doesn't mean it's going to be any less perplexing! The battery is almost brand new and contacts looks just fine. however, I did notice that the wires and harnesses are soaked around it. Strange. I don't know what I did to get that much water in there. At any rate, I am starting to think for certain it is a short, because now the dash and climate control panels are flashing after leaving the car on.

Your own admission is that you have washed it so you did get it wet. Start with what you have done and work backwards. If a door or roof seal is leaking then it stands to reason you will have got water in the car. The lowest sup in the car is where the Alarm/cl modules sits. It controls not only the alarm, but immobiliser and also all your power up functions. ie sleep shut down modes. Fry that unit and you end up with masses of seemingly unrelated problems. A US car will still have the unit but it may well be under the drivers seat. Just saying on uK cars its under the passengers.

Edited by Sunnyside

Do more searching because I've read of that same problem several times. Not sure what year or model Porsche but on some their is an electronic component under the front bumper passenger side that after washing their Porsche their electronics went wild. Good Luck, Robert.

Anymore info on this, I haven't heard of a problem like that but it would sure be handy to know about for future reference.

Thanks,

Frank

I am almost certain it was a short caused by something getting wet now. After letting the car dry out for a few hours, the batter was indeed completely dead, so the short must have actively drained it. I put a battery tender on it for a couple hours and everything seems to be fine now. The car fired right up and there seems to be no residual effects in any of the electrical subsystems.

I'm going to have my shop give it a once-over to see if they can figure anything out to keep it from recurring, but for now, at least I'm back on the road. Thanks so much for all the replies and assistance. I appreciate it!

• 4 weeks later...

Well gang, the ugly electrical issue rears its head again. And this time, it was only PART of my aggrevation!

I had been driving the car for the last few weeks a day here and there. No problems. Well today I go to take it to get inspected and registered (let both run out stupidly) and the FIRST car behind me after I pull out this morning? Cop car. Figures. Anyhow, he pulls me over in a parking lot and I turn the car off (leaving radio on). Luckily, he was pretty forgiving, since I already told him I was going to get this stuff done today. Anyhow, I go to turn the car back on and .... nothing. It won't turn over. In the 10 minutes it took him, my battery drained enough so it wouldn't turn over!? Luckily I was close enough to just walk home and get my other car. A quick jump restarted the Porsche.

So I'm really frustrated now. What in the world could be doing this? Over and over the car is draining in minutes (which I gather was really just my issue last time, not the actual washing/ getting something wet). I've got to have a short someplace, but I'm surprised anything could drain a battery that fast.

Can anyone offer insight into what common shorts or drains might occur? I really have no choice other than to take it to the thieves...I mean dealership, but I'd like to at least point them in the right direction so I don't get robbed.

Well gang, the ugly electrical issue rears its head again. And this time, it was only PART of my aggrevation!

I had been driving the car for the last few weeks a day here and there. No problems. Well today I go to take it to get inspected and registered (let both run out stupidly) and the FIRST car behind me after I pull out this morning? Cop car. Figures. Anyhow, he pulls me over in a parking lot and I turn the car off (leaving radio on). Luckily, he was pretty forgiving, since I already told him I was going to get this stuff done today. Anyhow, I go to turn the car back on and .... nothing. It won't turn over. In the 10 minutes it took him, my battery drained enough so it wouldn't turn over!? Luckily I was close enough to just walk home and get my other car. A quick jump restarted the Porsche.

So I'm really frustrated now. What in the world could be doing this? Over and over the car is draining in minutes (which I gather was really just my issue last time, not the actual washing/ getting something wet). I've got to have a short someplace, but I'm surprised anything could drain a battery that fast.

Can anyone offer insight into what common shorts or drains might occur? I really have no choice other than to take it to the thieves...I mean dealership, but I'd like to at least point them in the right direction so I don't get robbed.

I take it your getting over 12 volts on the dash gauge? say about 13.5 when running after a long period.

My diode pack failed and it would charge the car when first started form cold but as it warmed up the voltage would keep falling. Eventually it reached 10v. Car was running on the battery and it would go flat very quickly.

I have also had a battery that went defective like WVICARY says. If your getting about 13/13.5 volts after a long drive I would invest in a new battery, better still just get one anyway.

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since I've been around, but I thought I'd report on what I found to be the issue here. The stupid trunk light was staying on all the time. I still don't know why it is, but I simply removed the bulbs from the trunk and engine compartment lights and now the battery can sit for two weeks without losing hardly any charge at all.

So...one problem solved! Now I just have to figure out why the engine latch actuator keeps relocking itself 1/2 second after I try to open it! At least thing car is giving me something to work on eh?

• 5 weeks later...