Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Steering wheel vibration @ highway speeds

2001 996 Carrera Cab, 6 speed manual trans.

The car has 20k miles on it but the tires are old, based off the tire code i think they are ~7 yrs old. The previous owner barely drove the car. They have a little tread left on them, but could really use new tires, i am trying to nurse them thru one more summer as this is a dry weather summer car only.

At highway speeds on smooth roads i notice a vibration in the steering wheel and seat, from ~70 -84 mph over 84 it seems to smooth out again. From 70 up it starts out slight and then gets worse until i can feel the vibration in the seat.

Is this a mechanical issue or tire/balancing issue?

I had the same problem with my old Boxster but my tires were not very old. I had the alignment and balance checked and they were ok. The problem turned out to be 2 tires had flat spots because it sat on the dealership lot for a long time before I bought it. They could actually see the tire out of round when it was spinning on the balancing machine. It wasn't hurting the car but it was a bit annoying.

• 4 weeks later...

i took the car to a local porsche only shop. It turns out all 4 wheels were out of balance, and all 4 tires have flat spots. They balanced the wheels as best they could and the vibration at high speeds has gone. What i did notice wa a slight vibration at lower speeds 30-40 mph. once i replace all 4 tires and balance i'm sure this will be resolved. At least i know the cause was bad tires

Glad to hear that you found the problem and the tires were not new when it happened to you. My tires always flat spot a little because the car will sit for a month or more at times. I have only had one set that did not round back out after I got them hot. Hopefully it will not happen to you again. Happy motoring and enjoy the car. :)