Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

99 Boxster Small Oil Leak - Need suggestions

Location makes me think rear main seal. It is a $20 part, but it requires removing the transmission and the flywheel. I might get flamed for this :D but if it is not leaking much, and you are the obervant type, you might be able to wait to replace when you do a clutch job.

I would not procrastinate having that checked. I recently had a customer bring in his car with less oil than that and convinced him to check everything, found the IMS bearing starting to seize. of course it was the cause of the leak.

http://www.photoshop...4a9f64e2b259562

1999 Boxster

Manual Tranny

71,000 Miles

I purchased this boxster 11 months ago when it only had 50k miles. It's been great. No issues.

I'm not sure what to make of this recent finding.

Thanks

At the very least, the prudent thing to do would be to remove the oil filter, cut it open, and examine for any metallic bits.

You can remove the filter without having to drain the oil completely.

Regards, Maurice.

At 71K I would also do the following: Replace clutch replace RMS replace IMS with LN engineering replacement While the tranny was out I would further: check AOS and J tube Oil filler tubes drain/replace tranny fluid, Bleed brakes and clutch.

These are things that are time consuming or expensive when done individually but when done together can be less than $500 in parts (plus $500 for LN IMS Bearing).

If you haven't done the 60K maintenance you can do it as well: spark plugs, oil, serpintine belt, and filters

Edited by kbrandsma