Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Any experience with Rebuilt Engine by EBS Racing ?

Anyone have any experience buying a rebuilt engine from EBS Racing / EBS Co in Reno, NV?

I've been working with Don Weaver at EBS on getting a 996 3.4L rebuilt engine.

So far so good, the quote was very detailed, comes with 1yr warranty, price without shipping for the long block ~$9k.

Comes with LN IMS Bearing and some other upgrades.

Thoughts/Comments?

From the quote, looks like everything is touched and or replaced inside and out.

Take a look at the image and let me know if anything seems missing.

post-73087-0-05687200-1321566756_thumb.j

Also, still hoping someone has had actual experience with and engine rebuild by EBS Racing.

I've been onto EBS' website and I think I've even looked at their rebuild before. Sorry though I can't recall reading any feedback about their services.

The list looks pretty thorough for a 3.4L.

About the only red flag you might want to question. Are they are just re-ringing the pistons without any cylinder treatment? The problem with 3.4L Lokasil is, if it is oval or worn, there really aren't many options for treatment aside from Nikasil. If this is a low mileage donor or one where the cylinders aren't oval then this shouldn't be an issue.

A few things I would also consider replacing while they are in there.

The other 3 drive chains (and crank to ims rail)

Lifters (and carriers if they are out of spec)

LNE billet IMS paddle

Chain tensioners

Variocam actuators & solenoids

Spark tubes

Oil scavenge pumps

LNE billet oil pump hex driver

ARP main bolts

Oil separators (inside sump)

I also recommend you have the engine balanced while it is apart.

So you need a used head? They can't recondition the one you've got?

I don't have personal experience with that shop but do have experience with a $10k rebuild and have three friends who bought Porsche rebuilt crate motors for their 986 and 987's. Can I ask what went south on your engine and how you use it (DD,HPDE, weekends only)? I have to leave for a PCA event right now but do have time later to share my experiences and possibly save you from wasting a lot of time any money like I did.

• 3 months later...

So far so good! Just over 1500 miles on the rebuilt engine from EBS Racing out of Nevada. They forgot to mail a few gaskets but sent right out after I called. Good telephone support! Now working on the convertible top :thumbup:

Right on! Glad it's working well! Thanks for the update.

I'm looking for a good alignment shop in Reno or Sacramento, do you know if they fit the bill?

I'm hesitant to use the dealer in Reno, as I've read a few negative reviews.

So far so good! Just over 1500 miles on the rebuilt engine from EBS Racing out of Nevada. They forgot to mail a few gaskets but sent right out after I called. Good telephone support! Now working on the convertible top :thumbup:

Excellent news.

Did you ask them about the cylinders as Logray suggested? How about adding the parts he listed.

Thanks!

• 7 years later...

I'm bumping an old thread, as I'm considering a rebuild from EBS Racing to address cylinder scoring on my 3.4 motor.

Has anyone else here had experience with an EBS Racing engine (re)build in the last few years? If so, what was included in your build and how is your motor holding up?

• 1 year later...

Hello there.I was stumbling through threads looking for an EBS price outside of their business hours.Specifically,replacing liners on a high mileage 3.2 Boxster motor,when I saw your question wsrgklt.Yes EBS does excellent machine work.And very reasonable.I can think of at least 6 sets of air-cooled cylinders they've done for me.They also relined a 3.4 996 for me.The great thing about EBS is they can give you just about any bore-size(within reason)and also any compression ratio you want with your new matched pistons.I think I remember about 6k for block work/machining + pistons.