Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

This has probably been asked many times, but i have owned my 996 for many years & covered about 1500 miles. Its wrapped up in cosy blankets the rest of the time. Anyway when i purchased the car i only got 1 key. Never bothered me but i am planning on selling it soon & wondered how to get a spare key & fob. From what i have read you can buy the bits but cannot get it programmed without a bank loan through porsche. Any help appreciated.

• Admin

One caveat I would add to logray's response is that for any shop (with a PST or PIWIS) they would also need your cars IPAS codes.

IPAS codes can be obtained from any dealer after providing proof of ownership (usually your car registration). Keep you IPAS codes in a safe and secure place as they are like "keys" to your car.

Thanks for answers. I buy & sell cat C & cat D insurance write off bikes & scooters, most of which come with either just 1 key or no keys at all. The latter being i have usually to purchase a new ecu, eg Vespa GTS 300. New throttle body ECU assembly best side of £400 + new key set & then code manually. On the other hand when i get just 1 key there is a company in the UK you send them to & they clone your key & return it registered post. I take it this is not the case with the porsche system. Sorry to appear a bit dum but i have not had my 996 out of the garage for 3 years. And not been off the driveway for 4 years. Sad i know but work & other stuff,,,

Sorry to hijack, but this seems like a good place for my questions. I have a spare key that came with my 2000 C2. It will start the car but will not remotely lock or unlock it. The battery is good and I've tried resetting it by starting the car with it and pressing the button. Would this require the $300 dealer programming to get the remote working? Also, the spare key is in better shape than my primary key. Can I just swap the electronics or would I be risking messing up that one as well?

You can swap the electronics inside it is easy to do.

ANY type of programming requires a PST2 or PIWIS computer (independent shop or dealer) and your vehicles security codes (only obtainable at a shop with PIWIS subscription).

Without the programming code the spare key might not be able to be matched to your car.

I think it might be possible though, if you have one key that still works part of the programming steps includes pressing the button on the other remote transponders to add them to the list of authorized remotes (can't remember if that requires the 40 digit programming code or not).. And IIRC later cars (not 2000) dealers can look up codes in their database.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I went through this just recently, having bought a 1999 MY 996 with only one key...

Don't make the mistake I did by buying a key head from eBay - sellers will tell you they are 'hard to program' - the truth is they are impossible to program!

Here's what I learned from my OPC in Sussex, UK:

Porsche UK charge @ £85 for a key blade (cut from your chassis no) and then @ £120 for the remote head. This is plus labour.

The head comes with two serial numbers - one for the remote button function and one for the immobiliser 'pill'. Both have to be matched to the car - hence the need for the computer! My OPC didn't charge me for the labour in the end.

The key head's immobiliser pill can be matched to cars again and again but the head's remote function can be programmed only ONCE. So, if you buy a key head from eBay or similar and it doesn't have the serial numbers, you are screwed. And even if it does has the numbers and the remote function's been previously programmed to a car you're still screwed!

If I was going to do it again, I would get the blade ordered and cut (they do it from a photo of your existing key!) here: http://www.keysinthepost.com/actinic/ModernPorsche.html for only £15, then order the key head from Porsche and get them to code it.

Or if you're not bothered about the remote function just buy their 'transponder chip' key for £45 and get the OPC to code that.

Hope that helps.