Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Effects of long-term storage on running gear?

Hi,

Does anyone know what effects of long-term (several years) storage can have on the engine and gearbox of a 996?

I've been told that there is a possibility of corrosion as over time the oil degrades and runs off the surfaces it's supposed to protect, leaving metal surfaces exposed. However I have no idea what the probability of corrosion to internal surfaces in the engine and gearbox is. I'd appreciate any insights you may have.

Thanks

PBHIS

I'm not so sure I would worry about corrosion inside since they are fairly well sealed from the elements. Antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors that will last years (5 or more). If you use a thick 20w50 grade oil before you store it I bet most of the internal parts would still be covered in a film of oil when you bring it out of storage. In fact, probably even with a lightweight oil. But you bring up a very good point about the oil going "bad" in that period of time. You would want to have the oil changed at very minimum if it was sitting for several years. If it has been that long, you may want to remove the fuel pump fuse, disconnect spark plug leads and crank it for a brief period to re-lubricate the engine internals prior to firing. I would also change out all the fuel before doing this, even if using a double dose of Stabil to keep the fuel from causing problems (up to two years). All of that being said:

The best thing you can do for the car is arrange to have it brought to operating temp (driven) perhaps at least once every 3-6 months (AND NOT siting IDLING, but driven and warmed up). Hire someone to do this if possible, I'm sure they wouldn't mind driving it. ;)

Store it indoors, fresh coat of wax with a quality car cover, battery tender, rat bait, fresh oil every year (minimum). Use up nearly all the gas before you store it, then add about 15 gallons of very high quality fresh fuel and Stabil fuel additive which will keep fuel OK to use for up to a year. Have the fuel changed each year with fresh stabilizer added (a good excuse to drive off the fuel every so many months). You can also slightly over-inflate the tires to help prevent flat spots.

If you do all of this, when you are ready to use your car again it will be good as new.

Edited by logray