Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Convertible Top Compartment Cover Not Tight When Top Down

KMN

Folks,

My '03 Boxster is running great, however, I do have a problem with the top compartment cover. As the topic states, my top goes up and down with no problem, however, when down, the compartment cover stops about 1/2 or so from the stops (i.e., there is approx 1/2 inch or so gap between the compartment cover and the third brake light). I would have to push down on the cover to have it "close" all the way.

There doesn't appear to be anything preventing it from closing (maybe I need to check that again)...Is there something that can be adjusted?

Thanks

KMN

'03 Boxster

Lapis Blue Metallic

• 1 year later...

Does the clamshell end up in the EXACT same position whether the top is in the completely closed or completely open position?

The answer to that question will narrow down what you might be able to do to improve the lining up of the clamshell panel.

Regards, Maurice.

There are a number of things that can cause the clamshell to not reach a position that makes it level with the surrounding body panel (forward edge of the trunk lid and inboard edges of the rear quarter panels).

The first thing to check is to make absolutely sure that there are no foreign objects obstructing the stowing of the frame of the convertible top.

Next, monitor the two black plastic cones on the underside of the clamshell to make sure that they are not getting hung up on the edges of the female receptacles which are just forward of each forward corner of the trunk lid. Here is a photo of the driver's side cone:

post-6627-0-43838700-1360044143_thumb.jp

Here is a photo of the part on the passenger side that the right cone is supposed to fit into (note that the clamshell has been removed for this particular photo):

post-6627-0-91335200-1360041489_thumb.jp

Next, examine whether the forward edge of the clamshell is pressing down on the folded down top surface of the convertible top. If there is no space between the underside of the forward edge of the clamshell and the canvas part of the top immediately under it, it's possible that the rear main bow is preventing the top from folding down far enough.

If that's the case, make sure that the tension ropes (cable on each side at the rear of the convertible top frame that pulls down on the rear main bow) are actually connected to their respective steel balls and neither of the tension ropes are frayed or broken. If the tension ropes (which are actually steel cables) are intact, check that they are properly adjusted, and, if necessary, adjust the tension by means of the adjustment bolts. Turning the 14mm bolt counterclockwise will increase the tension and pull the rear main bow of the convertible top frame down. Mark the original position of the bolt on the bolt head so that you can reset it, if necessary and turn each one of the bolts (left and right side) by one full turn each and then check to see what effect that has had on the clamshell when you put the top down.

Here is a photo of the driver's side adjustment bolt. The bolts are located inside the convertible top well, just outboard of the engine cover's rear "corners":

post-6627-0-95138800-1360042969_thumb.jp

Here's a photo of the mechanism, so that you know what you are turning:

post-6627-0-11858300-1360043016_thumb.jp

If none of the above are the cause of the problem on your Boxster, you will have to investigate whether your V-levers have not rotated far enough to pull the clamshell down tight and level. The easiest way to determine that is a little involved, but not difficult. To do that, you will have to disconnect all four pushrods (front and rear pushrods on each side) so that you can then see if the clamshell will lie flat and even when there is no tension or pressure being applied to the convertible top frame and the clamshell by the pushrods.

You can then operate the convertible top canvas frame and the clamshell manually and determine if a little light hand pressure will get the clamshell down even with the surrounding body panels.

Try the previous steps above and report back. If you are not familiar with the pushrods, we can delve into that next in detail.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure what the correct term is but I had the same problem with my 1999. I had to replace the passenger side transmission for the top plus the motor due to the cable wore out the right side motor. Cost about a grand due to labor...

Not sure what the correct term is but I had the same problem with my 1999. I had to replace the passenger side transmission for the top plus the motor due to the cable wore out the right side motor. Cost about a grand due to labor...

If someone charged you to replace a "right side motor" you were charged for a non-existent part :eek: .

All 986 and 987 Boxsters have only one electric motor, located on the rear firewall of the convertible top well and that motor drives both transmissions by means of drive cables.

Regards, Maurice.

If someone charged you to replace a "right side motor" you were charged for a non-existent part :eek: .

All 986 and 987 Boxsters have only one electric motor, located on the rear firewall of the convertible top well and that motor drives both transmissions by means of drive cables.

Regards, Maurice.

Sorry, one motor but the right side of the old one was not in sync with the left side so the motor needed to be replaced.

• 2 years later...

I have a different top issue.  My top (when open) appears to have some slack in the cloth.  The car was in for some service (pollution controls) and they went into the engine compartment but they are an experinced Porsche shop so I don't think they "did" anything.  I've check everything (tension cables etc.) and all is perfect but it sure seems that the top has much more slack than in the past (When folded back).

Is there an adjustment to make the top tighter when folded back?......btw, the clam shell closes perfectly.

Edited by Rob175

I'm not aware of any adjustments, as long as the clam shell closes well.

Not sure of exactly what you are referring to when you say the top has more "slack".  

I would double check that both of your plastic ball cups are intact (the ones attached to the front pushrods).  The top can work with only one attached but it won't pull down on that side when open completely or closed completely.

Regards, Maurice.