Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2000 6 speed 996 Cab..Alternator replacement caused another issue

Hello everyone. It is with great joy that I can thank everyone for the information regarding an Alternator swap on my 2K 996 Cab 6 speed. However when I was going through the swap I broke a very thin tube that connects to the vacuum switchover valve and runs toward the front of the car. I cant tell where it connected or what this part actually does. It has become disconnected from the top of the motor. I started the car and it runs fine. I drove it around for a while and all has been well. However this am the CEL came on. I am assuming this has to do with this thin tube that has become disconnected from the top of the motor. It is literally the thickness of a coat hanger and it is very hard plastic.

I would love for someone to tell me the location of the connection on top of the motor and what the part is and part number and lastly how do I get to the connection point on top of the motor?.

Thanks for looking and helping.

Tim

You should post a pic for certain but it sounds like a tube for the SAI vacuum system, perhaps one of the change over valves for the fuel system.

Assuming it is the very small tubing you describe, you can buy it in one meter lengths from a Porsche dealer, here is the part number. It is very inexpensive.

Depending on which tube it is and where it goes to depends on what you need to do to replace it. There are literally half a dozen or more of these little tubes snaked all over the engine, some for the SAI, some for fuel, resonance flap, etc.

I did the same as you. I went to home depot, and bought a few inches of tube, it is just a little bigger than the tube I broke, so I insert the two ends of the broken tubes into this home depot one, plus a little plastic sealant. Done.

Hello everyone. It is with great joy that I can thank everyone for the information regarding an Alternator swap on my 2K 996 Cab 6 speed. However when I was going through the swap I broke a very thin tube that connects to the vacuum switchover valve and runs toward the front of the car. I cant tell where it connected or what this part actually does. It has become disconnected from the top of the motor. I started the car and it runs fine. I drove it around for a while and all has been well. However this am the CEL came on. I am assuming this has to do with this thin tube that has become disconnected from the top of the motor. It is literally the thickness of a coat hanger and it is very hard plastic.

I would love for someone to tell me the location of the connection on top of the motor and what the part is and part number and lastly how do I get to the connection point on top of the motor?.

Tim

I did the same as you. I went to home depot, and bought a few inches of tube, it is just a little bigger than the tube I broke, so I insert the two ends of the broken tubes into this home depot one, plus a little plastic sealant. Done.

Tim

Thanks for the reply. I am now just trying to figure out where the tube connects to the engine. I know where it is connected to the check valve above the Alternator I need to know where the other end goes.

Gotta love these two thread conversations.

I still say pull your DTCs (check engine light trouble codes) before moving forward with any repair.

Chances are it's something you unplugged or didn't connect right from the alternator removal and reinstall.

I don't remember the resonance flap causing a steady CEL, but I guess it's possible.

If you don't have a code reader you can go to most auto parts stores and have them read for free (autozone/pep boys/etc.).