Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission Problem, can't get car out of "D"

The tow truck is on the way, but I wanted to see if anyone could shed some light as to what could be wrong with my 03 Turbo.

After a 2 hour highway drive, that included a stop where I turned off the car, we arrived to our destination, only to find out that when I put the car on "P", the dash indicator and transmission, would still remain in "D". The shift lever can be moved from P to R to N, but takes a lot of effort to get into D. Once in D, I can go into the manual mode and shift it to 1st (dash indicator confirms this), but I cannot get the car out of D.

Had to remove the 2 fuel pump relays to turn the car off as it won't do it with the key since it thinks it is in D. Once off, I removed the negative terminal of the battery (under driver's seat) and when I re connected the battery, all I got was a air suspension fault code. The car still thinks it is in D, but now the dash indicates as if P, R, N, and D are all selected at the same time.

Anyone ever gone through anything like this? Any idea what the solution will/could be?

Thanks in advance for any and all help regarding this matter.

Thank you. It is at the dealer now and who knows what story they may come back with in order to fix this problem. I have since learned that there are two solenoids that could also be the cause of this problem.

When the gear icons in the dash are all lit up like that indicates a fault in the Transmission control unit which should be able to be scanned to show the fault. If it is a intermittent or transient fault it can usually be cleared but turning off the car and restarting but a permanent fault must be fixed and then the code cleared.

Edited by hahnmgh63

Well, now I am stuck.... Your replies make more sense to me, as does another one that I got relating this to the solenoids, but the dealer just called and told me that the reason for my issue is directly related to the cable that connects the shifter lever to the tranny itself. They claim that they "temporarily fixed it with a pin and some washers", but the cable needs to be replaced. They even managed to drive the truck to another lot they have with this fix. As per their claim, their "hack job" can last 1 day or 100 years, they just don't know. Their repair quote came in at $228 for the cable and $338 for labor to replace it.

Any idea what the part number for that cable is? See the exploded view below.

post-10928-0-25896100-1328625794_thumb.j

Found the cable in USA for $160 and the ex head mechanic at the local dealer would charge me $250 to replace the cable. Just posting this for future reference in case it helps someone later on.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: I just got the truck back this past Saturday due to a major delay in getting the part delivered. I saw the "old" cable and the ends look like they are new! Will post some images so some experts will chime in as to wether or not it merited replacement or not. So far, the truck is working, BUT....., somehow, they managed to mess up the manual mode of the shifter. If I put the lever into the manual portion of the gate, the lever will sometimes work, others (most of the time) does not. When it works, it upshifts fine from first to second to third, but that is it. Downshifting never works. The transmission will work "manually" from the buttons on the steering wheel.

Stealership says that it now needs a new sensor and the sensor alone was over $450. I am SSSOOO fet up with this vehicle and the dealer.

Just dropped off the truck at the stealership so they can take a look again at the job performed. Their jaws nearly dropped when I explained to them what could be the culprit of this new problem and furthermore with the part number of the electromagnets. Let's see what they come back with in a few hours.

I'd like to thank all who helped me in solving this issue. Dealer just called me to tell me that in fact they messed up when putting my car back together and in fact one of the electromagnets was missing (their fault). Now all is back to fine. I will make another post with images of the "damaged" cable (I personally don't see it damaged, but.....).