Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine not starting - help

Hello everyone,

Just finished a long day in the office and went to start my 2003 Carrera but it makes the noise as if it is about to fire up but it doesn't. It's got a new battery (1 week old), new alternator (4 months old) and is serviced regularly. When you turn the key in the ignition it makes the noise but doesn't start. It happened the first time 3 days ago but started up after 5 minutes.

I left the car in the mult-story car park and would like to know before paying money on tow trucks etc..

Thanks, and I hope someone can point me in the right direction,

Momtaz

Edited by msaif

Have no idea if this helps. Had a similar problem last week. Believe it or not, had a person interested in buying my car and he drove it to a local Porsche dealership and they could not get the car to start. Turned out to be some kind of purge valve that got stuck in the open position. The function has something to do with allowing gas fumes to exit properly. They ordered a new valve and after $360.00 (not bad for a dealership), the car runs fine. I had some mild irregular idling issues that now no longer occur.

Eric

• Upvote 1

I think even I would have it flat bedded home or to a shop in this situation, assuming a simple jump or bump start and some gas wouldn't get her started.

If it's sitting in a car park, especially so. Get it to a shop. Yes it could be something simple, perhaps if you have a code reader available.

• Upvote 1

Thank-you for your advice. The Porsche centre sent out their head mechanic with the fault reader which did not show any faults. The mechanic diagnosed a faulty fuel relay and the car was towed to the Porsche centre. I collected the car a few hours later and the following was on the invoice:

Fuel Level Sender Removed and Checked, Relay Fuel Pump Replaced - came to $120 all in, including the call out and tow charge

Thanks again to all

I am having the same problem with my 2003 C4S. Battery checked out fine and load tested OK. Engine cranks but does not fire. Can someone tell me the location of the 2nd relay panel in a 03 coupe. Another post mentioned its near the DME but I don't know where that is either. I am suspecting fuel pump relay. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

• Admin

I am having the same problem with my 2003 C4S. Battery checked out fine and load tested OK. Engine cranks but does not fire. Can someone tell me the location of the 2nd relay panel in a 03 coupe. Another post mentioned its near the DME but I don't know where that is either. I am suspecting fuel pump relay. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

The relay is on the relay/DME panel under the carpet behind the rear seats.

You will need to loosen the nuts and turn the panel over to access them.

post-1-127104287679_thumb.jpg

post-1-127104288032_thumb.jpg

OK so I bench tested the fuel pump relay and its working fine. Also checked the fuses 1,2 and 4 on row C of the fuse panel (DME relay, Ignition relay, Fuel pump relay) all are working. On the 2nd relay panel I tested relays 1,2,7,10 and all are working. Put everything back in and tried to start again, no luck. Car turns over but never fires.

Any other things I can check before I have it towed. Think its worthwhile trying to hook up a code scanner?