Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Moved Climate control to Lower slot and a question about the external

Over the weekend I moved the climate control down to the lower console din slot. It was challenging getting the cables to there new location but I succeeded by routing them down the pass side(USA) of the center console. It was difficult to see where to pass the bundle thru as it has four plugs and is very cumbersome. I found that laying my trouble light on the passenger floor and facing it upword allowed me to see light shining through and where to pass through location was.

I found that I could not get the Climate control to slide into the lower slot. It kept stopping with about a 1/4 inch more to go.

I could not get it to go in even with all four plugs disconnected.

I finally got desperate and shaved just a little off the point on both sides of the unit that stick out. I also shave the top of the unit on both top sides where there is a slightly raised surface. I did not take much off and I loathed having to take any plastic off and that did the trick and the unit slid right into position.

Has anyone else experienced this ? I had thought it would slide right into this location.

--------------------------------

My other question is in regards to the Becker CDR-220 and the additional "Equalizer" or whatever that additional unit is called. It has one plug on the back side of it which I would assume connects to the radio. I tried the radio with it unplugged and could not get the radio to work. Plugging it back in the radio works. Is there a way to "delete" this external device in the Becker Setup or a way to "Jumper" out this device?

I am thinking about using the DIN slot it takes up for a different purpose and do not feel that I will miss this device.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Regarding the climate control position, I can't remember if it was designed to fit in the lowest slot (do you mean where the batwing is?) It should slide easily in the slot above that (middle lower slot). That's where mine is. I didn't have to do any mods.

Regarding the EQ (DSP) removal: look here and here

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/374579-dsp-removal.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/12931-dsp-removal.html

I have included a before and after picture.

Is the picture I uploaded showing "Console After" showing the climate control the same as where you put your climate control?

BTW - the Bat Wing drove me batty, I could not figure out how to disconnect the seat heater switches to gain more room while working. As is I dinged the very top center of the batwing because I failed to notice that there are two parallel plastic protruding edges on the bottom of the climate control.

Don

I included an additional pic with a red arrow pointing at the location that I moved the climate control to as the previous pics may not offer enough res to ascertain where the unit was moved.

I also added a pic of the Bat wing as it confused me what was this Bat Wing the people were referring to. I thought it was something over the rear engine deck lid, :)

post-80079-0-45891400-1336408051_thumb.j

post-80079-0-30505400-1336408346.jpg

post-80079-0-30203500-1336411509.jpg

post-80079-0-20462500-1336411529_thumb.j

Edited by barlowdo

Dharn55, It was hitting some stepped shelf in the top of the bay. I am really not sure why the shelf was stepped. It started about 4 inches back or so. I was amazed at all the angles and steps and modified brackets and one type of screw mount and another type of screw mount I found through out the upper and lower bay.

Here is a pic showing what I had to remove with my dremo drill. The down pointing arrow shows a raised edge that I shaved off down but not including the lower longer raised edge. SO I took off about an inch of this edge. The upword pointing arrow shows the tip before I knicked off the very point of this angled edge.

post-80079-0-73395500-1336413176_thumb.j

Edited by barlowdo

http://forums.rennli...sp-removal.html

http://986forum.com/...sp-removal.html

I had thought about the only option I found in those threads, which is to just hide it behind some other display since it does not have to be touched. Not an elegant solution as I would rather just jumper a wire or what ever but it does not sound like it would be that simple. I really did not know my amp was digital. Now I do.

Yes you have the HVAC in the same slot I do, right above the batwing. I don't remember anything interfering with it sliding in, but you got it in and I guess that's what's important. :)

Posted Yesterday, 01:34 PM

http://forums.rennli...sp-removal.html

http://986forum.com/...sp-removal.html

I was just in Best Buy trying to look at the JVC KW-AV70BT double din unit. I have read that the CDR-220 can be removed and existing amp and speakers can be used with other head unit, Unlike the later model radios that use the OPTICAL interface.

My question is about the CDR-220 like mine that also uses the DSP - which is I read digital. Does this mean my amp is different and it will be more difficult to connect a different head unit or is it still about the same issue as on would have with a non DSP CDR-220?