Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

981 engine bay access

Does anyone have some advance info on accessing the engine bay in the new boxster? I am hearing that some routine maintenance tasks are more difficult for DIY'ers than previous generations, and that part of the problem is just accessing parts like the air filter, etc...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Thanks for the schematic Loren. The 981 has two cone-shaped air filters (one on each side) -- different than the 986/987.

Yes, I know. It is common for Porsche to only show one item in their parts diagrams. Just like there are 6 of the screws (item 7).

So back to my original question... I just took delivery of a 981 and the owner's manual makes no mention of how to access the engine. And a look at the area where the top retracts does not look familiar to a previous 986 owner like me...

Is there a way you could post how one would get access to the air filter? Is there a similar procedure to the 986/987 models by putting the top in a "service position"??

Here is the information I got at my dealer this afternoon::

MOVING CONVERTIBLE-TOP TO SERVICE POSITION:

1. Remove left and right wind deflector inserts from the roll over bar.

2. Open the convertible top until a dimension of approximately 100 mm is achieved between the windshield frame and the front convertible top bow.

3. Reach through the opening in the roll-over bar and unclip the tension ropes from the guides on both sides.

4. Open the convertible top until a dimension of approximately 470 mm is achieved between the windshield frame and the front convertible top bow.

5. With the rear lid open, grab the rear tension bow from the outside and pull upwards.

6. Loosen retaining strap from the mounting on the rear tension bow.

7. Pull Retaining strap over the convertible top covering to the left convertible-top tip and attach.

ENDING CONVERTIBLE-TOP SERVICE POSITION:

1. Disengage retaining strap and clip into the catches on the tension bow.

2. Fold tension bow back out of the service position and into the original position.

3. Reach through the opening in the roll-over bar and clip the tension ropes into the guides on both sides.

4. Close convertible top and install wind deflector inserts.

I know photographs would make this whole exercise easier, but the photographs I got with the opening procedure are difficult enough to see in the original document and when scanned...... At least the procedure doesn't take a PIWIS to accomplish.

The technicians didn't have the time (or experience - haven't been to school yet!) to demonstrate how to find the engine. Maybe next time.

Bill

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Go to a concours and watch any Boxster 2006 on in preparation - full category (if they have such a thing - sorry if not in Singapore), they will demonstrate it.

Work hard to clean what you can in your Boxster.  Then watch this video again.  

There is a whole lot of car in not that much space, but, it's not impossible.  Ask around, there are a lot of people in Porsche Clubs that know how to do this.

Amazing cars.