Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Front Bumper Film protection (single use)?

Is there any type of pretective film (not the clear bra stuff) that I can cover the front bumper with to avoid rock chips on my newly painted front bumper so I can drive it to the body shop that needs to re-do some work? Ican't afford to get any rock chips on the bumper since the surface needs to be blemish free for the clear bra install.

Please guys, simple question. I didn't know if there was any type of protective film that guys used (for ex: to protect lenses during a track day, etc).

smart a*ss 1999.....I didn't expect that from you. You usually have good posts over at rennlist and get pissed at others when they post as you just did.

FYI....there is more construction out here in LV than you can possibly imagine and all the routes to the body shop are clogged with dump trucks literally throwing rocks.

So, either give something constructive or ignore the post. Ignorant replies are not welcome. Looking for help not immature hour.

Edited by LVDell

Okay, I will try to be serious. But it was and still is a little bit funny ;)

There are plenty of protection films out there, but some of them can be quite difficult to get off again and other very expensive. When the Porsche shop gets a new car from Porsche they are delivered in some kind of white plastic. What about trying to give them a call and see if you can get one, they usually throw them away.

Just giving you a hard time. Why not wait until late at night when traffic my be lighter on the route you are taking. How far is the bodyshop from you? It just seems like alot of work for such a little risk. I have driven my p-car from Chicago to Las Vegas lots of times and only once did I get any nicks. If you just take it slow you shouldn't have to worry about it. Anyway..it's only a **** car and if you are that worried about stone chips, all the plastic protection sheets in the world are not going to keep if from getting some sooner or later.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

The bodyshop is about 15 miles and there is no convenient way to get there. They are down by the strip and I am way out on the west mountains. I have a couple routes I checked out that I will use and just drive slow and many car lengths back from others. I found a surface street that doesn't see much traffic so that might be the winner.

The reason I am so paranoid is that when I picked up the car last time from the shop when I had the GT3 kit put on when I got home the spoiler looked like a BB gun went to town on it--must of been 100 paint chips. Needless to say I had them re-shoot it.

Scroll forward a year to today and the wife slid the car off the road a couple weeks back and plowed into a flat median (grass in most parts of the country but rock here) and scrathed the front bumper all to sh*t.

I picked it up last Friday from the repairs (repaint) however, it has to go back since there is work that they missed that I didn't see when I picked it up last Friday at 5p in the rain. This is such a bummer. Now I am told to wait 3-4 weeks for it to totally cure before I can have the clearbra installed. The total down car on my car is going to be in the neighborhood of 2months. Maybe that is why I am a bit snappy. My apologies as well.

AARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

I was being serious, this latex is used commonly at race tracks to protect the leading edges of cars. Apply it to a clean car surface using a new narrow paint roller. It dries to a rubbery material and if you have any wax at all on the car it comes off in sheets. Easy and cheep, works for me. Just try not to get the stuff into cracks and crevaces, not the end of the world, just a bit of work to get out of tiny places. And guaranteed to almost 200 mph.

Thanks all. Great info. I got a roll of some super thick plastic from my builder that they put down in the house in carpeted areas before move-in so the workers don't mess it up. I am going to use that with painters tape on the painted surfaces and duct inside the wheel well where it will wrap in.

And of course I will tkae pics :)

This should be quite the sight.

Please be sure the cover is secure re: very tight, to the surface because if not any dirt or dust between them will get ground into the paint as the air moves the cover across the painted surface when driving, this is a common problem with some types of bras. You might want to put a quick coat of wax on and leave it ( don't wipe the wax off ) before putting the paper in place just for some extra protection.