Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HVAC possessed, no air

My HVAC attempts to move the fan speed up and down on its own and the Frost button doesn't function. No air comes out of the vents on any settings.

I think this started when I was holding the convertible button and tried to turn on the AC at same time. Ever since then its just going bonkers.

2002 Cabriolet.

Edited by 987_RDC

One easy possible solution to the problem that you describe can is to remove the HVAC unit from the console and unplug it.

Then, look in the back of the unit at the small pins onto which the connector was plugged in. Inspect for any corrosion, which will look like fine white powder-like deposits on the pins. Clean off any corrosion and do the same to the female connector receptacles at the end of the connector.

I had a similar issue a couple of years ago, and that was the cause for me. Cleaning the corrosion off with emery cloth did the trick.

Regards, Maurice.

Will do! Any special instructions on how to get the HVAC out?

Here is a comprehensive DIY on how to access all of the components in the console: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php/tutorials/article/242-mp3-player-through-cr-210-with-cd-changer/

Use the pertinent sections to help you understand how to remove the HVAC unit.

Another note...Sometimes, when there are unexplainable electrical gremlins, it turns out to be the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Your symptoms sound different, but keep that in mind nonetheless.

Regards, Maurice.

• Upvote 1

Another note...Sometimes, when there are unexplainable electrical gremlins, it turns out to be the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Your symptoms sound different, but keep that in mind nonetheless.

Regards, Maurice.

Crap. Not what I wanted to hear. My car started on its own around the same time. The ignition seems to be "gummed up" like it wants to always turn to the right. I have to force it to get key out. Anyway to clean that?

Cleaning the ignition switch usually does not produce any results, but if you want to try that route stick one of those red "straws" that go on the end of a spray can into the cylinder and spray away. You can use a can of electrical contact cleaner.

If that does not yield any improvements, you will have to replace the ignition switch. If you are not getting that familiar "clunk" sound when you remove the key, that is usually a sign that the switch is on the way out. The good news is that it's an inexpensive part and fairly easy to remove and replace (if you are a contortionist :blush: .

Here's is a link to a DIY on the ignition switch: https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/ignitionswitchreplacement

Regards, Maurice.

• 2 weeks later...

Confirming the ignition switch did the trick to fix HVAC issue. (also crappy feel of ignition turn)

I used the finger grip sockets from Craftsman #00943401000

I did have to use a bench gringer on a tiny standard screwdriver bit to shave it down to approx 3mm so it would fit into the tiny holes of the two screws. (after chipping off red paint w/ larger driver)