Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission Not Broken - Shifter Adjust

Hi all:

I have had my 996 for about 6 years. Recently I started noticing rough shifting and grinding, particularly on downshifts into second gear. My initial thought was worn synchros and a transmission replacement or rebuild in the near future. My imagination ran wild picturing one or more of the kids from the shop that services my car savaging the gears on a joy ride last time I took it in for an oil change. Not likely but I'm pretty careful so there is no reason for this to be happening, surely someone else was to blame. . . Before I even changed the tranny fluid I decided to try the cheapest possible fix - shifter adjustment. I ordered tool 9619 - part no 000 721 961 90 from my local dealer. With tax it was $5.20 and arrived within a week. Long story short. I used it to adjust my shifter and now my shifting is silky smooth, problem solved. Before you spend any money on a 2nd gear pop out detent or worse a new tranny, adjust your shifter first, it just might work and save you lots of money. Instructions for B&M short shifter explain how to remove centre console and access shifter assembly. Once that is done simply release the two shifter cables- push springloaded clamps and turn clockwise, clip the tool onto shifter from passenger's side and reinsert shift cables and release spring loaded clamps. I suspect in my case, shifting was put out of true when I had my clutch changed, range of adjustment for cables is just a few milimeters so it would not take much movement to put it out of alignment.

Cheers,

Edited by Pumpkin

• 7 years later...

I found this part here:

WWW.PELICANPARTS.COM

Genuine Porsche Shift Adj. Bridge Call (888)280-7799. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# 000 721 961 90 000-721-961-90 000.721.961.90 00072196190.

BUT it looks like the tool is discontinued.  Does anyone have another source for it?  It looks like the same tool for the 997 is still being offered.  Can that tool be used?  Looks to be a simple part - perhaps a 3D scan/printer may be useful here...  Many thanks to anyone with current information.  

• 2 weeks later...