Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mobridge activation in 996 with PCM2 PIWIS expert needed!

Hello!

I (aka the dealer) is having trouble activating the phone module on my PCM to allow my newly installed mobridge to show up.

So I was wondering if someone could post the actual procedure?

Here's the background...

Firstly and most importantly, car is a MY2004 996tt cab with PCM. Now it is a ROW (Australian) car, which means that while the PCM has the telephone buttons on it, the phone, sim draw AND phone prep (which I believe is fitted standard in the US) is NOT present in this car. It also does NOT have the CDC. (mainly cause they were both $2K options!).

I have the same setup in my cayenne but it runs a dension GW500/BT module.

Mobridge (w/bluetooth) is installed and the CD/ipod is working fine.

Dealer did manage to get it working before, but it took them hours (I paid!) cause they are basically clueless with anything other than an oil change. They however removed the mobridge and my smarttop unit while they were doing a repair due to "problems" they were having with thier PIWIS.

The car has just come back after having some roof components replaced. I waited 3 (yes three) weeks for them to figure out how to calibrate the roof with the new system tester. They told me there is a worldwide software fault with the new Panasonic based system that prevents the roof calibration from completing (more likely they just don't have a clue, this is also after Porsche screwed my on my rear spoiler repair because I was 10 (ten) days out of warranty when it was identified, even though it had been leaking for months, but I digress.....)

Anyway on my cayenne the procedure for the dension was really easy, install unit, and while it is active (not in service bypass mode) go into the PIWIS, into PCM, into MOST ring actual devices, and add "phone" to the next available slot.

Reboot car, and tada! phone module working....

However the mobridge seems much more invasive than the dension, so they struggle with it.

My questions are

1) should the unit be in bypass while trying to program the phone module (I assume this was the problem last time as the unit was NOT in bypass and it was screwing with thier PIWIS).

2) They also tried to code the CDC, but I beleive this is unneccesary. The head unit seems to be able to figure it out itself given the fact the ipod is working fine at the moment as a CDC.

3) Should the phone be coded to the next availble slot in the ring, or do we need the leave a space for the CDC? I assume again next available slot, and the CDC will sort itself out.

4) I believe a lot of the issue thay are having is cause they just don't know how to drive the new system tester, and they are learning at my expense, and yes there is no other dealer within a 3000km radius!

5) once phone is coded, shut down car, reactivate mobridge and re-start car?

I would appreciate any tips or tricks anyone can provide.

BTW just priced a cabin air filter, AUD $98 (about US$101) I told them to shove it and bought it from pelicans for $19. (This is what I have to work with.....)

Thanks again!

Darrin Smith

• 2 weeks later...

Ok had a productive session with a friendly tech today.

As I suspected the correct way to code the unit is.

1) Disable mobridge using the toggle switch.

2) connect PIWIS and go into the PCM.

3) in the next available slot (#3 on my car) code the phone module.

4) do not code a CDC if one is not already fitted to the car (as in my case) the PCM will automatically find the mobridge and install it as a CDC.

5) allow PCM to reboot. It will display the "system error phone not found".

6) click "OK" using the right hand selection wheel

7) while the car is still switched on, re-enable the mobridge using the 5 toggle method on the toggel switch.

8) PCM will then find the phone module and the ipod (CDC) after a few seconds.

9) pair phone and connect ipod...enjoy...

• Upvote 1