Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Muffler removal issue

I was removing the muffler from my 2003 C4S. I loosened the clamp and removed the 3 bolts attaching the bracket. I tilted the muffler down and was sliding it out wheel well when I felt a tug. There is a braided line attached to the muffler. I've attached some pictures of the line. The first pic is shot under the car looking forward. The second pic is shot from under the muffler. The line looks like a vacuum line. I was wondering if it is OK to disconnect this line. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

post-67707-0-43393500-1358048782_thumb.j

post-67707-0-29989100-1358048808_thumb.j

• Admin

The switch was an option on the 996 series. It can be added later.

"The sound behavior of the system is controlled as a function of the vehicle speed. The mufflers of the sports exhaust system have an extra exhaust passage way, which is opened and closed by a control flap. The flaps are activated by means of a control unit, which receives a speed signal from the speedometer. This exhaust system produces a sporty, powerful sound when both flaps are open."

"If the flaps function as intended, vacuum is present at the vacuum modulators at a speed of approx. 45 kmh / 28 mph to approx. 68 kmh / 42 mph."

Ok, thank you for the response. I'm very embarrassed but I found the switch. Not sure why but I thought the switch was for a floor lamp (I thought the bulb had just burned out). Very embarrassed to admit this. A bit of difference in the noise level.

Thank you both for replying. I got both mufflers on and off with no problems.