Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 4S: Black smoke from the exhaust

Hello,

I have a 996 4S manufactured by Porsche in October 2004 and in November 2012 I added one liter of Oil Mobil 5W50 and in February 2013 several people told me that my car

had black smoke from the exhaust and smells like burnt. I purchased my car 6 years ago' 2nd hand with 48000Km and now the car has 65000 Km.

On Friday I leaved the 996 at the Porsche garage and after they checked my car they also noticed that the simmering (RMS) must be replaced again (after only 15000 Km).

Anybody knows if the black smoke is a symptom of defective engine that needs to be replaced?

Is it normal that the simmering (RMS) which is the sickness of all 996 needs to be replaced every 10-15000 Km?

I'm lucky because I extended the Porsche warranty every years but this is the last year that Porsche allow me to renew the warranty and after I will have to pay

Due the above I'm very disappointed with the Porsche quality and not sure will buy a new one in the next future...

Liberato

Edited by liberatod

• Moderators

Some of the 996's suffered from out of round openings in the case where the RMS sits (Porsche actually developed a tool to check the cases to see if the opening is round or not), which will continue to leak oil after replacing the RMS. Unfortunately, when you find a car with this problem, the out of round condition cannot be fixed, the engine has to be replaced. That said, one of the biggest problems with the new PTFE RMS seal is that people do not know how to correctly install them; they are very susceptible to leaks from something as small as a finger print getting on them, and they should not be installed with any type of sealer (the sealer actually works against the new seal and causes it to leak).

There was a very detailed article on the new seal, installation problems and failure causes in "Excellence" magazine a year or two back. It also showed how to test the case opening and examples of cases that will never seal.

Black smoke is ususally a sign of an over rich mixture, but it is usually not a fatal problem and would also usually throw codes as well.

black smoke typically indicates unburnt fuel. are your injectors leaking? is there fuel getting into the oil?

the RMS shouldn't need to be replaced that frequently, but if it was improperly installed or if the shaft is eccentric, that could cause accelerated wear.

edit: wow, JFP is ninja fast at replying. :)

Edited by JasonStern