Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil change after an AOS replacement

Is it necessary or recommended to change engine oil after an AOS failiure/replacement? I've changed my AOS a couple of weeks ago and drove the car for +/- 300 miles. FYI-engine oil had been changed just before the failiure. However, I've changed the engine oil again tonight just in case, not sure if it was necessary. I just went for a ride and had the feeling the car was running better. Is it possible that the AOS failiure could have result into a coolant mix with engine oil?? This is what I was scared about. Maybe scared w/o a good reason!!

• Moderators

Is it necessary or recommended to change engine oil after an AOS failiure/replacement? I've changed my AOS a couple of weeks ago and drove the car for +/- 300 miles. FYI-engine oil had been changed just before the failiure. However, I've changed the engine oil again tonight just in case, not sure if it was necessary. I just went for a ride and had the feeling the car was running better. Is it possible that the AOS failiure could have result into a coolant mix with engine oil?? This is what I was scared about. Maybe scared w/o a good reason!!

Changing the oil is not necessary unless intermix has occurred. That would be obvious, as the oil (or coolant) would have a “hot chocolate like appearance due to the formation of an oil/water emulsion. If the oil (and coolant) is clear and clean, you are fine.

photo1.jpg

Well, used oil didn't looked like a creamy hot chocolate, thanks god (or please god). I Will still have the oil tested next week.

But I think my question was not clear enough: could a defective AOS cause an intermix?

Thanks Logray for your answer, didn't thought about oil cooler.

I've been driving recent and low mileage cars since the past 10 years, so it's been a while since I had mechanical problems.

• Moderators

On a 996, yes, a bad AOS can cause intermix because the AOS has a water passage in it. It is not a common type of AOS failure, more often you start sucking oil into the intake and billowing smoke. But it can happen.

Expanding upon JFP's post, a few things regarding the AOS and intermix

oil in coolant theoretically possible = NO

coolant in oil theoretically possible = YES

1.) From the immovable RFM...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/38721-smoking-2001-996-convertibe-aos/#entry210285

2.) Since watching this and other forums since 2005 I have never actually read of an intermix caused by AOS, only by oil cooler or head crack (the latter being most commonly reported).. Not saying it hasn't happened, considering as JFP points out water does flow through the AOS, but perhaps raising the possibility yours is not the exception to the norm.

To help diagnose this issue further, perhaps you could post some pics of your oil and coolant in order to steer this thread in the next direction.

Cheers all! :)

Edited by logray

• Moderators

To follow up on Logray's comments, he is correct that because the AOS does not carry pressurized oil, an AOS failure intermix is a one way deal, coolant into the oil. Personally, I have not seen this, but a local dealer had an intermix car in, and after dropping the engine and pulling both heads and the oil cooler looking for cracks, discovered a very small crack in the AOS body that was leaking coolant backwards into the oil sump. Needless to say, the service manager was just thrilled over the number of hours wasted trying to track down the leak.

So, while not at all very common, it can happen and is worth making note of for future reference purposes when encountering an intermix for which you cannot track down the source.

Thanks all for the comments, very interresting.

I just had great news - no coolant in oil. 20,000 pounds less on my shoulders (and 20,000$ securized)...

I just need to figure out where the coolant leek. I guess the next step would be a pressure test on the system as I never see coolant on the ground when parked. There's a couple of posts on coolant system testing.