Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2005 Cayenne S: Shifter in Park, Exit Car, Alarm On, Shift Console &#3

Hi Everyone, this is a bit strage. Here is the sequence of events:

- parked the car (2005 Cayenne S)

- exit car

- close door

- press key fob to lock car and set alarm

What I can see is the shift indicator light on the console (that shows P R N D) flashing very quickly but dimly.

I don't think its normal behaviour or is it?

Is the flashing light indicating a fault somewhere? Please comment, thanks in advance.

Thats not normal at all. Any other odd issues happening? Any battery/charging system issues? You need to access the transmission and Electrical/KESSY module for fault codes. The KESSY module controls the ground path for the Terminal relay which powers that circuit.

Thanks for you reply WVICARY... Just bought the suv a few weeks ago. Have changed a bunch of light bulbs, waiting for an online purchase of a pair of Xenons, and a few T10 LEDs (for the W5Ws, hope the LEDs will work). Also waiting for the "tripple square" bits so I can get at the battery. Initial night that we got the vehicle, I put a battery charger on it. It was fully charged overnight but initially it looked like it needed it. I haven't charged it again and the car has started every time... so I think its OK but not knowing how a new Cayenne starts, I don't know if its starting normally... as in as soon as I turn the key clockwise, there seems to be a split second (maybe 3/10ths of a second when it does nothing) then it starts. Its definitely different from any other car that I have driven.

Note: Had problems initially with the remote on the key fob... bought dollar store CR2032s to replace the originals ones but it didn't help much, ie. press serveral times, up to five six times to unlock/lock the car... thought both the key fobs were bad or something wrong with the car. Then finally bought Eveready CR2032s and like magic, everything is fine. Works like it suppose to. the dollar store CR2032s tested the same as the Evereadys with a volt/amp meter.

"You need to access the transmission and Electrical/KESSY module for fault codes", does that mean I should get a OBD2 device?

What is a "KESSY" module?

Also waiting to the tripple square bits to do the brakes... still has about 50% but there is some brake squeak... plan to add some anti brake sqeak compound... have used it before on other cars, I am guessing it should work on the Cayenne.

Thanks...

You'll need the factory scan tool,Durametric or Launch scan tools to access the fault codes in the KESSY module. That module is used for the entry and drive system,immobiliser/alarm and in conjunction with the vehicle electrical system control module activates relays/modules for the CANBUS systems.

A standard OBD2 device will be useless and the Durametric is the best choice cost wise. This is a complicated vehicle and unless you're comfortable with such things it's recommended a trip to the dealer or indy with experience and a PIWIS dealer scanner.

In regards to the battery, just because you had it on a charger and thought all was well doesn't mean the battery if sufficient for the Cayenne. I recommend your first step being to have the battery properly tested.

"A standard OBD2 device will be useless"... thanks for saving me some time and money even though I was going to get a Bluetooth $20 one to run with the Android "Torque" app.

Durametric is approx. USD$300. Do "you guys" (meaning most people on this Forum that have it) use it that often, like once a week to check up on the SUV, to make it worth while to buy?

I'm OK with auto mechanics (rebuilt a 4 cylinder engine and manual transmission once among the usual stuff like doing brakes) and computers, the Durametric will definitely help me to be in touch with the 2005 Cayenne S. I bought the SUV from a dealer and knowing that "This is a complicated vehicle", I for the first time, bought extended warranty which wasn't cheap as you can imagine. So knowing that I have warranty, I should just go to my local Porsche shop and "hand over the SUV" to them and see what they come up with, right?

Note: I've never trusted mechanics and I am paranoid to drop off my vehicle. I always think that they may fix something but sabotage something else so I have to come back later.

Anyways... have warranty, so go to Porsche Dealership shop, YES?

Ricky, I bought my 04 CS about 6 months ago have put on about 12k miles. It is a great vehicle and will really enjoy it. I bought the Duramatric about a month ago and have used it twice. It showed me why my heated steering wheel is working, but did not help me on a problem I am having with the power window. You will need it if you plan on doing your own oil changes (getting done at the dealer runs around $200) as it is the only way to reset the service light without going to the dealer. I feel no matter how ofen you use it, either daily or a couple of times a year it is worth purchasing. As for the warranty, if it is a good one that actually covers repairs and doesn't exclude most things under "normal wear and tear" items let the dealer do it. If the warranty doesn't cover it, those shop charges add up fast.

Thanks BigFoot68... looks like I will take your advice... did you buy online directly from Durametric or from someone local?

I have a friend of a friend that owns at 2009 Cayenne...I'll ask him if he will split the cost with me... share the software (allows three VINs right?) and get an extra compatible cable online if possible... or just get one Durametric for myself.

My 2005 CS, have to:

- replacing both Xenon bulbs, bought online, just waiting for delivery, ie. not driving the CS at night... not so funny..., Local shop $160. Online $40 for a pair D1S... I will see how long these will last and report back...

- rear park assist not working, took off bottom rear valance, only had access to outer two sensors that were both cracked

- repaired right front side marker light, was half full of water with a broken bulb pieces in it and the bulb had melted the bulb mount

- when I took of the tire off to get to the marker light, I noticed that there was "stuff" in the wheel/tire... as I rolled the tire there seem to be a handful of gravel inside... wierd... have to get this checked out

- replaced a whole bunch of light bulbs: rear brake, backup, front "side" w5w bulbs and a few interior light bulbs. Have purchased a few LED T10 bulbs online to replace the W5Ws... hope they work.

- brakes squeak... makes the SUV sound cheep... received my Triple Square bit set... now I can do the brakes... and check out the battery.

This write up seems to be quite accurate as to my experience with the CS so far:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2005-porsche-cayenne-s-long-term-road-test

Gas guzzler, touchy brakes at city speeds, I am not "big" but the driver seat bottoms are a bit narrow, I think the mirrors should automatically retract when the car is parked vs. having doing it manually, the ride is a bit harsh since it came with aftermarket 22" wheels (looks good though). I may look at 20" ones with winter tires. I hope the stock power steering system is not stressed by the 22" rims. I am guessing the weight is the same as stock but the tire patch would be greater. I am not sure if the original owners changed the shocks or sway bars... or if the ride is harsh just because of the short height of the sidewalls... they are "/30s". But its a PORSCHE. The "S" is a monster of a SUV... 335 HP cool... its not a turbo but sounds cool (came with aftermarket stainless steel exhaust, TechArt I think?) and has the power even though its heavy. Test drove a V6 but I read that you might as well buy a V8 since you will probably step on the gas a bit more to compensate with the V6. So far I think the V8 was a good choice... the V8 just sounds awesome!

Anyways, it has the aluminum cast pipes already instead of the plastic ones for the coolant... should be a recall... this was a big concern for me... obvious reliability reasons.

I want to take off all that plastic "cosmetic" pieces in the engine bay... has anyone done that? Less plastic should mean more hot air gets out to helps cooling, even if its only marginally. I think an aftermarket vented hood would look cool.

I can go on and on but that is enough of talking to myself right now... look forward to replies.

:thumbup: