Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Question on best way to power test our facotry radio (headunits) outsi

Hi I have a factory 996 headunit that is not currently in the car and would like to power test it. I know on aftermarket decks its just the matter of hooking up power, etc and it turns on. But with a factory head unit is that possible? The wiring is in the car itself so Im assuming I would have to touch the prongs individually if that's the case and would have to be careful not to hit any other prongs or it can short it. I know the best way would be to remove mine and hook it up but Im not wanting to do that if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Exact model of the head unit would help - it is on the front of the radio.

There were at least 4 model of radios used in the 996.

Sorry Loren was out of town for the weekend. Anyways it states PCM on the front where the old school tape deck opening is. Im assuming its PCM1 is what people would call it. Hope that helps. Just need to verify that this powers up and don't want to take my deck out to test it.

Thanks,

J5

The exact model and year of your car is helpful because there are changes year to year in the wiring.

Please provide the exact model and year of your car.

Thanks for the post Loren. Im not able to provide you exact model as I bought this from another member. Its out of a 2003 996 is all I know.

So you are trying to put a 2003 996 PCM into what model year car?

I was wanting to do the full navigation conversion on my car so picked up a complete kit. Its a PCM1 so it works for my 2000 model. I just don't want to take my dash apart just yet but want to know if it turns on and gets power, etc. Just a simple power test is what Im wanting to do.

• Admin

If the PCM came out of a MY2003 996 then it is PCM 2.x and will not work in your car.

In MY2003 Porsche changed to a fiber optics system (MOST) and series of controllers throughout the car - which your car will not have.

IMHO in a MY 2001 car you are likely better off with an after market NAV setup as many other here have done. Do a search and see your other options.

If the PCM came out of a MY2003 996 then it is PCM 2.x and will not work in your car.

In MY2003 Porsche changed to a fiber optics system (MOST) and series of controllers throughout the car - which your car will not have.

IMHO in a MY 2001 car you are likely better off with an after market NAV setup as many other here have done. Do a search and see your other options.

Thanks for the info. Ok so this is a PCM1 so I was misinformed. Im guessing this is older than 03 if that's the case. Its not the Fiber Optics setup PCM2 that I know.

Yea Ive been pondering on an aftermarket unit as well but I like the fact that its a factory Porsche setup and is why I really wanted to go this route. Its still up in the airs though.