Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

99 Boxster 986 List of problems

Did you read the codes with Durametric, Porsche PST2, or Porsche PIWIS tester?

If so, what were the fault code(s)?

If both lights were on then I would suspect the brake light switch - have someone observer your brake lights.

brake lights are ok, nope I used the Launch X431. I guess that can't read ABS or something because it reads tiptronic, locks , engine just fine, just the ABS part

• 2 weeks later...

If you have cooling issue, things to check before the HG:

1. both fans come on. one fan work will result the needle being on the right side of the zero of "180". Fan comes on around 210degF

2. antifreeze at level

3. condensation around the cap area; there should be none. Check cap.

If all of those not passed:

1. check if system can hold pressure. if leak, fix it. Go to HF and get the coolant pressure test kit.

2. if holds pressure and no leak, check the water pump and thermostat. It may need replacement.

1.) radiator cleaned still overheating, changing cylinder gasket this week

Thanks

Edited by Trey T

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, just an update, blown engine. (DEAD) so now im looking for a new engine. IT sucks!!!!!

There was a crack on the engine block , so this is apparently a big problem.

Anyway I am looking for a 2.5L 986 Boxster engine. Will a 2.5L Engine from a Manual Boxster work on a tiptronic boxster? Same 2.5L Engine

Second question:

Can i put a 2.7L Engine? :D haha

• 2 weeks later...

purging the air from these coolant systems took me multiple trys to get it right. I'm with the guys on here. follow the expalantions on here for purging and make sure its not just air that is causing you to overheat. Meaning it took me multiple rides down the road to get to full speed. i.e. two miles down the road and back home again by the time I reached 180 and then parked and let it cool down. topped off fluid, (it would take on another 1/4 to 1/2 gallon each time). Then pull the little purge cable and add some more coolant and then drive down the road and back again and let it cool down. Did this multiple times over more than one day to get it back and then drove cautiously for a week or two until I was convinced it was all fine again. I was freaked out. I thought it was acting just like head gaskets but it wasn't...just trapped air.

purging the air from these coolant systems took me multiple trys to get it right. I'm with the guys on here. follow the expalantions on here for purging and make sure its not just air that is causing you to overheat. Meaning it took me multiple rides down the road to get to full speed. i.e. two miles down the road and back home again by the time I reached 180 and then parked and let it cool down. topped off fluid, (it would take on another 1/4 to 1/2 gallon each time). Then pull the little purge cable and add some more coolant and then drive down the road and back again and let it cool down. Did this multiple times over more than one day to get it back and then drove cautiously for a week or two until I was convinced it was all fine again. I was freaked out. I thought it was acting just like head gaskets but it wasn't...just trapped air.

How i wish it was air inside, they checked and there were cracks on the engine block, any of you guys know anyone selling a good engine?

So far im going to install a 2.5l boxster engine (a manual will fit on my tiptronic fine right ? Just move the old harness) but im actually considering putting a 3.2L engine, will that be too much work? Like aside from harness will it cost too much to do? What other parts would be needed?

Thanks guys