Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Suspicious Damage At Dealer - Advice Appreciated

So at long last, after months of research I buy my first Porsche, a mint 2001 C4 that was in unusually great condition - clearly babied by someone who is as car OCD as me. I bring it to the local Porsche dealer for a PPI and they find $6k of items, clutch, leaking plug tubes, annual maint,... Fine I bring it to them on a Tuesday for the recommended repairs, after a 6-hour wax minor scratch detailing session. Not really anywhere near done Fri so I drop in on saturday and discover to my horror a big puddle of water on the service front seat covers, I tell the service rep guy, he goes back to the car, comes back and says that he dumped the water out, spilled a bit between the seat and jamb but toweled it up, says it rained hard all day friday and must be leakig, I say ok and leave, I get paranoid and go back sunday to check it in the lot and the back seat carpets are wet and the front seat has large patches that have been baked in the sun to a stiff cardboard texture, the grain is all irregular as well, looks terrible. 12 years of perfect care and within days at the dealer enough damage to give me a heart attack. I had previously washed the car with a hose and SOAKED the soft top washing it without a drop inside. No matter what this is getting fixed, but I am stumped how this could happen. They will do a water test, but if it passes, then I think its their nickle to fix it. Any one heard of this happening, how could that much water get in? It was not the usual plugged drain thing that dumps in the rear footwell, it was on the front drivers seat, at least two cups. Any guidance appreciated. many thanks in advance.

Edited by PorscheServiceThen529Plan

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, not sure but usually thats a seal leak of some sort (unless the dealer left it outside with the sunroof open which is highly possible since BOTH seats were wet). I would have them clean it up, dry it out, detail the interior. then wait and see if you get any water on your floor boards (run it through a high pressure touchless car wash). If your carpet gets wet then you most likely have a door seal leak on the side that is wet. You can check for a door seal leak by running a fog/fake smoke machine inside the car and see if any of the smoke escapes (saw this on wheeler dealers on a DB7 :) ).

good luck!

I would hammer the dealer ASAP! The car was in perfect condition when you handed over to them except for the 6k service. Also check under the driver seat for water this is where your DME unit lives and water can kill it in a flash!

• 4 weeks later...