Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I had recently installed PSS10 4 months ago and after 10K miles I had a clunking sound coming from both front and rears. The problem ended up being the strut mounts on all four corners. Now after another 15K miles on them it looks like the fronts have gone out again as going over speed bumpy roads the front suspension feels loose and bangs away with clunking. I know this because when I take a look at the front where suspension is mounted it is now popped up about 1-1/2inch above hole where mounting bolts are. Independent shop replaced the fronts last time with part number 997-343-01801 which I looked up at pelican parts to be an after market part. I told the shop I only wanted factory parts. Does anyone one think it could just be a cheap part that went out? It stinks because the left front has the same part number too. Can someone give me the correct part number for 2002 Targa. Or I was thinking do I need stronger strut mounts since I have PSS10 on or factory rubber ones gonna be ok this time. Car will be taken in tomorrow. Thanks ALL!

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced miy stock units with PSS9s about 2 years ago, and replaced the the upper strut mounts front and rear with stock ones, though on the front ones I used X73 units, which made the alignment easier, as th eoffset for the holes is different, and they are heavier duty than the regular front ones. No problems at all in the last 10k miles or so. There is no choice for the rears, only one part number. At the time I figured it made no sense to reuse 10 year old rubber parts with a stiffer suspension. It could easily be a cheap part that went, but it could also be where the PSS10s are set for height. They are not adjustable to what ever height you want. They are only adjustable over the range specified by Bilstein based on the measurements int he installation manual. If you are too low, then you are slamming the strut mounts against the bump stops via the strut rod, which will destroy them in short order.

• 4 months later...

How did you determine the thumping was from the front strut mounts?

Did you just replace them and the noise went away, or was there some diagnostic "test" possible?

-Bill

Bill This is what the strut mount looks like when it goes out. It just went out again today and this is the third time. The independent shop I went to said it was factory but infact an aftermarket one made in Germany. I have a 996 targa and was told that pss10s would be ok to use factory strut mounts. the car is 25 inch f/r ride height. Is the set up wrong here where my front and rear mounts are going out less than 12-15k miles?? I do drive on lots of bumpy roads but I assume that it was souse to be able to handle them. Any suggestions anyone ?? Im going to look or new dealer

Did you just replace them and the noise went away, or was there some diagnostic "test" possible?

-Bill

Bill This is what the strut mount looks like when it goes out. It just went out again today and this is the third time. The independent shop I went to said it was factory but infact an aftermarket one made in Germany. I have a 996 targa and was told that pss10s would be ok to use factory strut mounts. the car is 25 inch f/r ride height. Is the set up wrong here where my front and rear mounts are going out less than 12-15k miles?? I do drive on lots of bumpy roads but I assume that it was souse to be able to handle them. Any suggestions anyone ?? Im going to look or new dealer

Here is driver side strut going through the fender thus making the clunking over all bumps. all four have gone out and this is the third time. Any other strut mounts I can use that will take the abuse of everyday driving over bumpy roads?post-12269-0-51663600-1391927556_thumb.j

post-12269-0-69467800-1391927797_thumb.j

-Bill

Here is driver side strut going through the fender thus making the clunking over all bumps. all four have gone out and this is the third time. Any other strut mounts I can use that will take the abuse of everyday driving over bumpy roads?attachicon.gifphoto5.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto2.JPG

-Bill

Here is driver side strut going through the fender thus making the clunking over all bumps. all four have gone out and this is the third time. Any other strut mounts I can use that will take the abuse of everyday driving over bumpy roads?attachicon.gifphoto5.JPG

Here is the passenger side that hasn't gone out yet but is probably the same aftermarket part which shop got from SSF. What are the major issues that are causing these to go out??? I thought they are suppose to take daily driving on poor roads. Seriously what is the point of having pss10s if you cant drive daily on all conditions and having to replace mounts every 10K?? PLease inputpost-12269-0-81826700-1391927861_thumb.j