Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Best and safest CTT engine washing/degreasing method?

I'm embarking on cleaning off the old gunk sprayed up the engine front which is leaking from somewhere, my best guess is before I replaced the hose running to the drivers side intercooler, the seal was gone and oil was seeping there and sprayed the engine. I recall about a cup of oil dumped out when we changed that hose last summer. I think it's dripping again and need to figure out where this leak is AND I want to clean up the gunk so I can spot the leak. What does Porsche recommend for degreasing and cleaning this engine? I think it a job for my make ready pro at the dealer who details my CTT and not my Indy mechanic who will start blasting with Brake Kleen.....can anyone share their experience with this and that intercooler hose/ seal failing? Barring turbo blow by I realize the CTT does collect oil there from the PCV....I also will add the vehicle does not consume much oil, perhaps ONE quart between yearly oil changes. Can any of you pros weigh in and help a nervous father out? I'm concerned about my CTT and have a new baby boy, medical expenses etc. and don't want to let this CTT go. I love the size and power and versatility and don't want anything else.

I had this question a while back and my thread on this is located HERE.

Located in anoher forum...6speed....

If you do not have access to it, here is the text.

Bottom line, was really easy. I chose to wipe the plastic covers by hand after removing them all, and washed entire engine as written below. Ended up being really nice and shiny.

Text from other forum:

Engine compartment wash
I have done this to other cars but wanted to get tips from those of you who wash your own engine compartment on the cayenne.

1. What do you use to spray in there
2. Do you use pressure washer or hose alone
3. Do you take off the plastics and wash them separately
4. Are there areas that you do not spray/wash, or any place that is sensitive and must be careful with
5. Do you do it in your driveway or at car wash
6. Do you take off bottom covers too to let water out easy
Above and any other tips will be greatly appreciated

Other contributor response:

I have just done mine:
1: remove all the plastic trim covers
2: cover as much of the electrical sockets as possible
3: use Gunk to get the worst of the grime off, agitate if stubborn grime
4: gently rinse off the gunk, do not use a power washer!!!
5: use APC at 4:1 ratio and again agitate
6: again rinse
7: pat dry with microfibre cloth
8: spray with 303, gently wipe for matt finish, or leave for 6 hours for gloss finish
9: do the same for the plastic trim covers
It takes time to do, but well worth it, nothing like an engine that you can eat your dinner off!!
When the rain stops I will take some shots of my engine bay.
There are plenty of detaling forums that will show what can be achieved.

Contributor #2 response:

1. Wash car.

2. Lift hood
3. Spray clean
4.Close hood
5. Drive off.

I wash (with a power washer even) the engine of ALL my cars EVERYTIME I wash the cars.
I know several engineers at car manufacturers. The engine bay is considered a "wet compartment" Things in the engine bay, including all the plugs, are designed to get "wet"
If you have a running issue after washing your engine, you have a bad part that isn't sealing correctly.
Dirt and oil eat away at seals and trap heat in engine components. I've run several cars upwards of 300K miles and one of the best ways to get it there is to keep it clean!

This should give you a good idea on the process.

I ended up buying:

- Degreaser (regular, or you can get the eco friendly one at Wally world too - i got the eco one so I can do in driveway without messing things up).

- Engine shine (same make as degreaser)

Removed all plastic covers (to clean by hand).

Warmed up engine decent (not running hot, just enough to be warm to touch - you risk it bursting into flames if sprayed onto super heated surfaces)

Sprayed generously all over the engine bay, even under lid if needed.

Waited a few minutes to soak in.

using water hose with spray attachment (stayed away from pressure washer - can damage stuff if you are not careful), sprayed all over bay to clean off spray.

Used web towel to wipe off excess water.

Idled car (i drove for a few minutes) to make all water evaporate.

Waited til engine cool.

Sprayed engine shine on all parts I wanted to shine, and left it at that.

Cleaned all plastic covers by hand and installed back into engine bay.

Came out super nice. No need to cover any part in particular when rinsing, just do not have high pressure water jet to rinse with and you will be OK.