Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DIY: Add wireless charging pad in the cabin for your smartphone

I just completed installing wireless charging pads for my smartphone and wanted to do a write-up to share with you guys.
Requirements / Baseline:
  • I use my smartphone quite a bit for navigation in the car and wanted a seamless, hard-wired solution for it to be charging while being used (GPS use sucks up a lot of juice)
  • Even when not using GPS, I wanted to be able to dock the phone and not have to fiddle with a cord I had to plug in each time. Docking should mean charging, with zero effort.
  • I am constantly picking it up and taking photos or talking etc. and plugging/unplugging each time proved to be a huge hassle (which prompted this whole project in the first place).
Here are the parts I ordered:
Installation Notes:
  • I am not covering the steps on how to install the Proclip vent mount - pretty straightforward.
  • I wanted the whole setup to be modular. i.e., have the ability to swap out the charging pad later on for different voltage/design, swap out cables in case I go to a device that is not micro-USB, as well as have the ability to swap between 2A and 1A outlets on the USB charger socket.
  • I wanted it all to be hardwired so I that I don’t have to fiddle with cables and plugging in each device each time I get in and out of the car.
  • First, I spliced the cigarette lighter socket and juiced my dual aux input tray.
IMG_20131123_083743.jpg
  • Then I just tucked the dual outlet tray behind the center console
IMG_20131123_084947.jpg
IMG_20131123_085458.jpg
IMG_20131123_121357.jpg
Also, clearly, for this to work, your smartphone/tablet needs to support wireless or induction charging. Many of the modern devices do nowadays (except apple, cough cough), but in case they don’t here is a neat solution that I used on my old phone (Galaxy S4 mini):
Edited by xxaarraa