Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

ABS fault code 4200

I recently replaced the water logged brake booster along with the master cylinder. While I was at it I removed the calipers and painted them and replaced the brake fluid. I put everything back to together bled the system and everything seemed to be fine. when I started the car the ABS light was on. when I put my durametric on I got the fault code "4200 Front right speed sensor - op. circ./GND/+ short". I took the right front wheel off and made sure the plug was in tight along with the wear sensor. figured I might have knocked something loose. Re-checked with the Durametric and same thing. Should I just replace the speed sensor? Its a 99 Boxster base with 76k on it.

Also, when I tried to drive it around the block the car would not shift I assumed this is due to "safe Mode" due to the ABS light being on?

I am planning on replacing the right front sensor. any other ideas what might be the issue?

• Moderators

I recently replaced the water logged brake booster along with the master cylinder. While I was at it I removed the calipers and painted them and replaced the brake fluid. I put everything back to together bled the system and everything seemed to be fine. when I started the car the ABS light was on. when I put my durametric on I got the fault code "4200 Front right speed sensor - op. circ./GND/+ short". I took the right front wheel off and made sure the plug was in tight along with the wear sensor. figured I might have knocked something loose. Re-checked with the Durametric and same thing. Should I just replace the speed sensor? Its a 99 Boxster base with 76k on it.

Also, when I tried to drive it around the block the car would not shift I assumed this is due to "safe Mode" due to the ABS light being on?

I am planning on replacing the right front sensor. any other ideas what might be the issue?

Most likely what the description says, circuit open or shorted on the wheel speed sensor. Check for resistance or continuity between connector pins 4 & 5, if you don't see any, you probably have lost the sensor. Also check the wiring connectors to be sure they are tight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

any tips on getting the old sensor out? I bought a new one and the old one doesn't seem to be budging.

Try shooting it with some PB Blaster or similar penetrating oil and let it sit for a bit; the sensor and the bore where it sits in the carrier are supposed to be coated with a moly lubricant to prevent them sticking, but they tend to do just that anyway. Once you get it out, be sure to clean the bore with a small brush and use either a good quality brake grease or anti seize compound to prevent it getting stuck again.

thanks JFP in PA. I am spraying with PB Blaster then going to get grip pliers and try to twist. I already broke off the tab where the hold down screw goes through. I was wondering about anti-sieze but wasnt sure if it would affect the performance of the sensor. this all stared with the code 4200 after I replaced the booster and master cylinder and painted the calipers. You fix on thing and something else breaks. PITA!

• Moderators

thanks JFP in PA. I am spraying with PB Blaster then going to get grip pliers and try to twist. I already broke off the tab where the hold down screw goes through. I was wondering about anti-sieze but wasnt sure if it would affect the performance of the sensor. this all stared with the code 4200 after I replaced the booster and master cylinder and painted the calipers. You fix on thing and something else breaks. PITA!

Anti seize will not bother anything, just don't go nuts applying it.

All set lots of PB blaster, grip pliers, and patience. Replaced the speed sensor and still the ABS light was on. Checked under the hood and could hear vacuum leak. The vacuum tube that comes out of the fender was not in all the way, car ran much better. Then I took off the ABS plug and one of the pins was bent. Carefully straightened it out with needle nose pliers and put the plug back on and no more ABS light.

• Moderators

All set lots of PB blaster, grip pliers, and patience. Replaced the speed sensor and still the ABS light was on. Checked under the hood and could hear vacuum leak. The vacuum tube that comes out of the fender was not in all the way, car ran much better. Then I took off the ABS plug and one of the pins was bent. Carefully straightened it out with needle nose pliers and put the plug back on and no more ABS light.

Sometimes the best advice is to simply go back to the last thing touched.