Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing Instrument Cluster From S To Turbo

Hello, I have a 2004 Cayenne Turbo that for some unknown reason has an S cluster installed. I just got a Turbo cluster from a parted out 2004 CT that works. I have someone who can and will flash the EEPROM in the donor cluster to display my current actual mileage rather than what it displays. I think I'm correct in that the Immobilizer Module is not in the cluster but rather a separate entity. My question(s) is should I expect this swap to work or are there other issues inherent with this work? The donor cluster does function fully as does my existing S cluster. Thank you in advance.

Which clusters you have RB4 or RB8?

Well, I don't know! The one currently in my 2004 CT is a CS cluster and the donor cluster is from a 2004 CT. What's the difference and how would i determine that?

• Admin

They may not be any problem at all - especially since a number of people here have put Turbo clusters in their Cayenne S. (http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/172-turbo-lcd-gaugeinstrument-cluster-upgrade-walkthrough-for-cayennes/)

Worst case you would need a Porsche PST2 or PIWIS tester to re-configure/code options in the cluster (other than mileage).

I should be written somewhere in instrument cluster. If its RB4, it has Gateway built in the instrument cluster, and if its RB8 there is no gateway in instrument cluster, but it's under passenger glow box. So if you bought the right one there will be no problem,you'll just have to code options with piwis, durematric or vag-com, But if you where not bought the right one, it will not work.

I believe the RB4 cluster where changed with RB8 in 2005 models, but I'm not sure about that.

I'll have to preface this post by saying I don't have any experience with Cayennes. I know that North Hollywood Speedometer and Palo Alto Speedometer will program Carrera and Boxster clusters for about $200. I have not used the service myself, but I've seen posts from 986 owners who did.

Depending on the similarity between Cayenne and 986/996 clusters, you may also be able to do it yourself. In the process of swapping a Carrera cluster into my Boxster I gained quite a bit of knowledge about the EPROM programming in the 996/986 gauge clusters. You can read more about it in the link I pasted here.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43017-carrera-gauge-swap.html

If you want more information, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you instructions for the Boxster/Carrera. If the Cayenne cluster design is similar, they may work as well.

Edited by KevinH90

• Moderators

gbratk has it right, MY 04 use a cluster with build-in gateway, later MY have a gateway separately from the cluster. This is very important, otherwise it's lost money.

gbratk has it right, MY 04 use a cluster with build-in gateway, later MY have a gateway separately from the cluster. This is very important, otherwise it's lost money.

Well, I guess I'll find out soon. Using an outfit in Colorado that will flash the donor eeprom to reflect my existing mileage. From what I've seen, MY2004 has a separate Immobilizer Module (not in cluster) If it works I'll let all know. If not, I'll be eBay'ing the donor cluster! thank you.

They may not be any problem at all - especially since a number of people here have put Turbo clusters in their Cayenne S. (http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/172-turbo-lcd-gaugeinstrument-cluster-upgrade-walkthrough-for-cayennes/)

Worst case you would need a Porsche PST2 or PIWIS tester to re-configure/code options in the cluster (other than mileage).

I intend to have my dealer install and code it after I get it back from the mileage change. Sure do hope it works well!

I should be written somewhere in instrument cluster. If its RB4, it has Gateway built in the instrument cluster, and if its RB8 there is no gateway in instrument cluster, but it's under passenger glow box. So if you bought the right one there will be no problem,you'll just have to code options with piwis, durematric or vag-com, But if you where not bought the right one, it will not work.

I believe the RB4 cluster where changed with RB8 in 2005 models, but I'm not sure about that.

Yay me! The donor is "RB8"

Well if your car is 2004, than you have RB4, cluster. In that case this will not work.

The donor cluster is 2004 Turbo. It is RB8. Euro Cayennes had different clusters in 2004. US clusters are RB8. I decoded the donor turbo's VIN to be doubly sure that it is a 2004 like mine and, yup, it is.

Edited by martadon

• 2 weeks later...

So you didn't have to do any re-codeing? I'm about to do similar (04 CS with a euro cluster back to US). Mileage showing correctly? My indy has PST2 from Porsche. Any clues on how to get mileage showing correclty?

So you didn't have to do any re-codeing? I'm about to do similar (04 CS with a euro cluster back to US). Mileage showing correctly? My indy has PST2 from Porsche. Any clues on how to get mileage showing correclty?

My mechanic @ the dealer said he couldn't code it to my car and then put the old "S" cluster back in. I asked my Service Mgr "Well, did anything work on it?" He didn't know so he had the mechanic put the Turbo cluster BACK into my car and fired it up. It worked perfectly with full functionality! Go figure. Also, if you read a few posts earlier here, you'll see the issue of "RB4" and "RB8" incompatibility. The "S" cluster I took out was "RB4" and the Turbo cluster that went in is "RB8" I have no idea--it just works fine. As for mileage, I sent the Turbo cluster to ODO-PRO.COM in Colorado and they programmed the cluster to reflect my mileage. Thet say they can hit it +/- 300 miles. They did. Eighty bucks, one day turn around.

Do remember, though, that my car IS a Turbo. I got the car with the "S" cluster installed. I have no idea why or when that occurred. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced my cluster a few days ago. Everything works I'm happy to report. I coded the vin # of my car in it. Not sure if it had to or not. It does read mileage from donor car which fortunetly is close to mine (few K lower). I don't know of any way to change that. Don't know why Porsche thought to store that in the cluster itself. I recommend having a magnetic screwdriver or extendable magnet to get that back screw on the cover out without dropping it.