Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Weird headlight electrical issue

I'm clutching at straws here wondering if anyone has experienced this issue before, or knows the Cayenne electrical system well enough to attempt a diagnosis.

Here's the details (my truck's a LHD 2005 Turbo with Xenons, cornering lights etc)

If both headlights are connected then when the lights come on, the passenger side works perfectly, the drivers side dipped light illuminates, attempts to self level and then goes out, generating a warning symbol on the dash. The sidelight stays on, indicators work fine etc

If i then tap that headlight the dipped beam unit will come back on and stay on for as long as the car is running.

If I disconnect the passenger side light completely then the driver's side works perfectly every time.

The moment I reconnect the passenger side, the drivers side starts playing up again.

What on earth could be the cause of this?

• 2 weeks later...

Just recently, I had a screwy problem with the right front turn signal and right hi-beam operation. turned out to be the short wiring harness from main harness to headlight assembly mounting tray. insulation was cracked and falling of. No shorts and all volt-ohmmeter readings worked. changed harness, voila! Fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Similar to mine I think... I finally got bored last weekend and took the front of the car apart with the intent of fixing the issue... after swapping various parts around to try and replicate the fault I ended up figuring out that it was the headlight carrier on the offside.

This headlight carrier has two clips to hold in place the short harness you mentioned, one of those clips was broken.

With nothing to lose I took a dremel to the carrier and modified it so that the harness now plugs straight in the back of the headlight.... 500km later and not a headlight warning in sight. (as an aside, the dipped lights no longer flicker either!)