Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Corrosion underneath the car [rust]

Dear fellow members,

I would be extremely grateful to you if you could give me your opinion on the following matter: I discovered underneath my car the very corroded following part [see e.g. picture]. I've treated the part with an anti-rust product and covered it with a high resistant temperature transparent paint. My car is a four months old 997. Before the treatment, the part was all covered with red rust. The picture below is after treatment.

Well, is that normal?

I would be interested to know if you've experienced the same "flaw" on your 996s or 997s, and if you've applied a treatment in the case of corrosion of this particular part.

However, be very attentive to the fact that this part is very hot after engine operation.post-3260-1112119150_thumb.jpg

Edited by zacharie

zacharie,

It is quite hard to see, due to the close proximity of your photograph, but it looks as though this is part of the exhaust manifold. If so, these parts are made of a cast material, (not sure if it is actually cast iron) and it is very normal for them to have a 'rusty' appearance.

The 'rust' is a surface patina or oxide that forms, however this never gets worse to the extent that it begins to rot away - once formed it prevents further or deeper oxidation.

You say the surface gets very hot in normal use, if it is the exhaust manifold, expect temperatures in excess of 600C. The workshop manual is quite particular that no part of the exhaust system needs or should be treated with any corrosion protection, be it underseal or paint.

The use of this material for exhaust manifolds is not peculiar to Porsche.

(However, I'll eat my words with Humble Pie if this is not your exhaust manifold..!)

Thank you for your response. Yes indeed, it's a part related to the exhaust manifold [see picture, bottom of part number 5] . In fact, it is the systems support for the exhaust manifold. The paint I put on as a protection is called Thermo 600 from Julien [a french product]; the formula is studied for temperatures approaching 600 degrees celcius.

Do you think I should remove the paint and let it get rusty as day one?

Have you already observed that rusty film over the system support?

Orient Express, if you read my post, may i also ask your advice please?

Thanks.

zacharie

post-3260-1112163015.jpg

Edited by zacharie

• Moderators

That may not be corrosion, but rather burnt or cooked cosmoline. Notice the white stuff on the headers? That is burnt cosmoline as well. I had the same issue around the exhaust manifold when my car was new, but it cleaned up quite nice with some mineral spirits and steel wool.