Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is this Erratic behavior what happens when a battery gives up the ghos

996 Friends

Got in the car this evening after 5 days of missing driving it, and she opened as usual with remote FOB. Turned the key and got strange noises but not the starter cranking over, one noise from under/around passenger side seat? Noticed clock was at 12:00 when it was 8 pm, on repeated key turnings passenger window came down one third of the way, car will not start, computer display showed setting mode then oil measurement without touching stalk, interior door lights looked weak. Car will not start, tried to open trunk to check battery - wont open - stepped out of car and noticed rear spoiler up about half way, then recognized it as one of the noises I had heard when turning the key. 

Got back in, turned the key on, closed the passenger window and was able to manually, with the switch, drop the spoiler. Tried once again, no starter. Used the key to lock the car as always, security system activated. 

Question is, is this what happens when a 4 year old battery gives up the ghost - erratic behavior? Or might I have more on my plate?? Can battery placement and driving time get me back to the pleasure I had driving her one week ago?

thanks for any help in advance,

rwrsmart

• Moderators

996 Friends

Got in the car this evening after 5 days of missing driving it, and she opened as usual with remote FOB. Turned the key and got strange noises but not the starter cranking over, one noise from under/around passenger side seat? Noticed clock was at 12:00 when it was 8 pm, on repeated key turnings passenger window came down one third of the way, car will not start, computer display showed setting mode then oil measurement without touching stalk, interior door lights looked weak. Car will not start, tried to open trunk to check battery - wont open - stepped out of car and noticed rear spoiler up about half way, then recognized it as one of the noises I had heard when turning the key. 

Got back in, turned the key on, closed the passenger window and was able to manually, with the switch, drop the spoiler. Tried once again, no starter. Used the key to lock the car as always, security system activated. 

Question is, is this what happens when a 4 year old battery gives up the ghost - erratic behavior? Or might I have more on my plate?? Can battery placement and driving time get me back to the pleasure I had driving her one week ago?

rwrsmart

A bad battery causes all kinds of weird electrical issues to pop up.

• Upvote 1

996 Friends

rwrsmart

JFP, Once I replace the battery, is it likely all will return to normal? I hope to get one today, put the car on the charger through the cig lighter, pop the trunk and hope all well after replacement - probable?

• Moderators

996 Friends

rwrsmart

JFP, Once I replace the battery, is it likely all will return to normal? I hope to get one today, put the car on the charger through the cig lighter, pop the trunk and hope all well after replacement - probable?

A new battery usually clears up these types of issues as they are caused by low voltage.

Thanks for the support.

New Battery did the trick. Wont wait as long next time to replace the battery even with a Ctek charger on the job when I'm travelling.

Thanks to all who responded and to JFP for putting my mind to rest before I dropped the new one in..... 

very best,

richard