Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Doing first DIY Oil Change this weekend: question

I have a couple of questions, one I think is a good question, the other may be a dumb one. :)

1) In the DIY on this site, it doesn't describe draining oil from the Turbos themselves, but only the 2 bolts on the engine.

My dealer told me to get an 8mm Allan Wrench to drain each Turbo. Is that necessary? If so, should it be added to the DIY site?

2) The oil should be at operating temperature before the change. Do I need to wear some gloves before loosening the bolts? I'm afraid of 180 degree oil getting on my hands. :)

Today I purchased 2 Rhino Ramps, a 15mm socket, 27mm wrench, the filter wrench from Porsche, the replacement rings, the new filter, and of course, the 0-40 Mobile 1. :)

I'm ready to do this project on Saturday along with my brake fluid. :)

Scott,

If you drain the turbo's you will need an aluminum crush washer ($0.25 each) for each one (in addition to all the filter and drain plug washers and o-rings) Don't expect to get a lot of oil out of there.

Use "mechanics gloves' . They will give enough insulation for you to handle the drain plugs-just be quick pulling the plug away or you will get basted by hot oil.

I did the change. It was fairly easy.

I didn't end up draining the turbos because my dealer sucks for parts and I wasn't sure if I needed a new sealing washer after opening them up.

I will say this.... DO NOT add as much oil as the DIY here says. I measured what came out of the car, and it was around 6.5 to 6.8 qts.

I put 7 quarts in, and it was filled with only 2 bars left. Had I done 8 qts, it would have been way over-filled.

The rest of the DIY was very helpful.

FWIW. I did mine a month ago and had to put in almost 9 quarts. I checked the amount I took out as I dumped the oil from the catch pan into gallon milk jugs. It was over two jugs (which suprised me). I assume you had the filter and fill cap off and the engine warm. I did not let it drain for more than 15 minutes.

Wow, that has me concerned. I wonder why I only had 6.5 quarts??

You know, I wonder if it would have drained more if I had the filter and fill cap off allowing air to come in behind the drained oil, and my closed caps created a sort of suction keeping it in the engine?

Do you think that was it?

That is why I asked if you had removed the filter and fill cap. Next time you do it remove them and see if there is a difference.

I would not worry about not replacing "all" of the oil. As I am sure you are aware, an oil change on a TT only changes 2/3 of the oil anyway (9 out of 14 quarts). If you are having to add some oil every now and then to keep it topped off, that is helping to "change" the oil too.

• 2 weeks later...