Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

maintenance question

does anyone have any information/opinions on what would be considered "average" annual maintenance costs for a porsche? i realize this cost would increase as the car ages and also vary according to how the car is driven, so assume typical driver typical wear. is this a linear increase? or exponential? or otherwise?

also, of all of the usual problems with a boxster (maf, coolant reservoir, rms leak, etc) what is the likelyhood of experiencing them? i have already replaced the maf and the coolant reservoir. is the rear main seal next?

any other info on how these things age would be helpful too. i'm just generally curious so anyone's two cents is absolutely welcome. thanks.

lsc

Depends on what kind of P-Car you get, how it was cared for, and how you care for it. There is NO WAY to even give you a ballpark. Oil change once a year at minimum is the only given and that will run you $60 DIY or as much as $300 at the stealer. Other than that, it is a crapshoot.

I've had my MY97 Boxster for a year and so far, it has had:

1. none ignition problem - turned out to be faulty immobiliser relay

2. MAF failure - replaced

3. MAF failure again - replaced

4. ABS controller failure - replaced

5. tiptronic slipping - low oil, it seems, how it got low, still a mystery

6. 2 days after tiptronic service, now experiencing the "oil on the floor" symptom - praying it's just residual/overfilling of tip fluid, and not RMS

In short, it can be very expensive and very annoying.

Why not just put a big round number on it.

I'd guess that over the past 23 years, my 914 has cost in maintainence and repairs about $500 a year, some years better than others. (that engine rebuild just about broke the bank)

I think for a Boxster, if you set aside about 4K for maintainence / repairs, 1K for insurance, and 1K for gas, that would be a rough order estimate.

If you don't spend it, think of it as a savings plan.

i bought my 99 996 with 44K miles last august (certified car with 2 year or 100K warranty) and i have had no problems. I have driven the car regularly and have put about 6K miles on it. I am planning on getting the oil changed sometime this summer. other than adding a quart of oil every 1000 miles the car is perfect. I would definitely encourage you to buy certified because porsche is very stringent on their certification. Plus, when you get the need for speed out of your system it will be easier to sell (as long as you are selling to an individual).

Jarrod

I would definitely get that checked out. That is alot of oil consumption especially if you are seeing oil on the floor. Oil near the exhaust puddles (key hear is near) could be leaking cam covers, leaking plug boots and possibly stuff I haven't heard of yet. It never hurts to have them check it out ESPECIALLY since it is a CPO.

Why not just put a big round number on it. 

I'd guess that over the past 23 years, my 914 has cost in maintainence and repairs about $500 a year, some years better than others.  (that engine rebuild just about broke the bank)

I think for a Boxster, if you set aside about 4K for maintainence / repairs, 1K for insurance, and 1K for gas, that would be a rough order estimate.

If you don't spend it, think of it as a savings plan.

you know, i didn't think it would be 4k per year. based on that number i suppose i'm right on track. 750 for maf and 800 for coolant tank. i might actually be ahead of the curve. thanks for the opinion jnc.