Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

If you want MP3 from a factory looking radio....

If you're like me you want to upgrade to a radio with MP3 capability but still retain that factory look. I've seen several nice aftermarket radios out there but nothing just looks 'factory' enough for me. What can I say, I like the stock look.

Becker has a couple of nice MP3 capable units that are only available in Europe. Below are links to an ebay seller that will ship to the US (and the rest of the world). The two units in the links retain that 'factory stock' feel while being up to date on technology.

Becker Mexico Pro 793x series

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

Becker Monza 788x series

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

I've also included links to the user guides from the Becker website below

becker Mexico Pro 793x Manual

http://www.becker.de/beckerCC21/www_root/d...coProMP3_En.pdf

Becker Monza 788x Manual

http://www.becker.de/beckerCC21/www_root/d...MonzaMP3_En.pdf

the nice thing about either of these is the direct fit and harness connections to the factory stereo system. I'm considering a Mexico 7930 to replace my dying CDR220. Hope this helps a few people who prefer the factory look and want MP3.

Here's what I would like to do if any of you radio experts can help: I want to change out my existing Becker unit for one that accepts XM and an iPod without broadcasting thru an unused FM station. I also want to retain and use my CD changer. Am I asking too much or is there a unit that is compatible with the Porsche CD changer and has capabilities for an iPod and XM radio? This is for my '02 996TT

TIA.

Edited by ncbob

Becker doesn't have a unit out right now that will support both a CD changer and Aux inputs for XM or an IPOD. The units listed above will work with either a CD changer or Aux inputs, but not both. Its possible to have someone with a bit of electronic design experience to create an external switch box so you could do both. The circuitry should be fairly straight forward actually. I could probably provide a quick schematic for it if anyone is interested.

Here's what I would like to do if any of you radio experts can help:  I want to change out my existing Becker unit for one that accepts XM and an iPod without broadcasting thru an unused FM station.  I also want to retain and use my CD changer.  Am I asking too much or is there a unit that is compatible with the Porsche CD changer and has capabilities for an iPod and XM radio? This is for my '02 996TT

TIA.

you are correct and a good point to bring up. US spec requires a 200Khz spacing between stations while in Europe they use 100Khz. so in the US where you'd go from say 93.7 to 93.9, in Europe you'd go from 93.7 to 93.8 then to 93.9.

From page 56 in the Monza users manual (from the link posted earlier)

"Tuning is performed in increments of 100 kHz.

From Page 12 in the US Porsche CDR220 manual (posted in the manual section of this site)

Tuning steps of 200kHz (FM) or 10kHz (AM) are performed.

I just set my CDR220 to South American stepping as this drops the stepping to 100kHz. I couldn't tell a difference in the quality of reception. The only difference was when manually tuning it was in 100kHz steps instead of 200kHz.

Is n't there a difference frequency spacing between Europe and USA??

HarryR