Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

smoke test for evap leak

I have a p2177 and p2179 codes keep coming up in diagnostic and therefore assume a vacuum leak.

I have had a visual inspection of hoses in search for cracks or breaks but so far have been unable to find anything.

I would like to do a smoke test to see if this will show up the source of the leak and therefore would like to know the procedure for testing if anyone knows?

• Moderators

I have a p2177 and p2179 codes keep coming up in diagnostic and therefore assume a vacuum leak.

I have had a visual inspection of hoses in search for cracks or breaks but so far have been unable to find anything.

I would like to do a smoke test to see if this will show up the source of the leak and therefore would like to know the procedure for testing if anyone knows?

Running a smoke test for vacuum leaks requires a smoke generating machine and attachements:

M-SmokeWizard-1.jpg

These devices produce a very small stream of smoke that passes through small wand attachments that can be run along vacuum lines and connections while looking for the smoke stream to suddenly disappear, indicating a vacuum leak.  Unfortunately, these systems are not inexpensive, but can sometimes be rented.

Running a smoke test for vacuum leaks requires a smoke generating machine and attachements:

m-smokewizard-1.jpg

These devices produce a very small stream of smoke that passes through small wand attachments that can be run along vacuum lines and connections while looking for the smoke stream to suddenly disappear, indicating a vacuum leak.  Unfortunately, these systems are not inexpensive, but can sometimes be rented.

Thanks, does the cayenne 4.5 turbo have a test port anywhere fir connecting the smoke machine? Or is it just a case of pulling hoses one at a time and testing?

• Moderators

m-smokewizard-1.jpg

Thanks, does the cayenne 4.5 turbo have a test port anywhere fir connecting the smoke machine? Or is it just a case of pulling hoses one at a time and testing?

Neither, running, the smoke machine generates a thin plume of smoke that passes thru one of the attachment's that is slowly moved along the vacuum lines and connections until you see the smoke get sucked in.

hqdefault.jpg

And before you ask, yes, smoke tests are time intensive.

m-smokewizard-1.jpg

Neither, running, the smoke machine generates a thin plume of smoke that passes thru one of the attachment's that is slowly moved along the vacuum lines and connections until you see the smoke get sucked in.

hqdefault.jpg

And before you ask, yes, smoke tests are time intensive.

Thats great info thanks.

I was under the impression it had to be connected to a hose whilst the engine was turned off and looking to see where the smoke escaped from.

Thanks renntech.