Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need Pin Out Diagram for my Cluster Swap

In conjunction with the 3.4L engine I am swapping in a 996 gauge cluster. I finally picked up one that will work, turns out to be from a C4 so the gas gauge won't be accurate I guess.

Everything functions fine as far as the gauges are concerned but there seems to be some pin incompatibility between the C4 cluster and the Boxster harness.

With the new cluster the low brake fluid level and the ABS light are illuminated when the car is running. In addition the LCD backlight never goes out even after sitting overnight (long after the actual LCD display goes out).

So I was hoping someone has the pin out diagram from the factory manuals for a early C4. I have the manuals for the Boxster so I would like to compare them and see what I can come up with

Thanks

Todd

• Admin

Hmm... it maybe more than a wiring problem. The C4 has a different sending unit to go with the "saddle bag" tank the fits over the front axle. So I suspect the calibration is much different.

Also, is your engine egas or not? All C4's were egas (regardless of year) so I suspect that the cluster for a C4 is expecting some different DME signals.

I'll send you a PM.

Loren,

Thanks for the PM. After comparing the pinouts it doesn't appear that it is a pinout compatiblity problem. It would appear that the cluster in not compatible eventhough the pinouts are the same as are the plugs. Perhaps it is what you suggest, the difference with egas etc. Perhaps it has something to do with the traction control integrated into the ABS on the C4.All the gauges function correctly, with the exception of the fuel level gauge being incorrect just the ABS and low brake fluid idiot lights are lit. Oh well, now I have 2 996 clusters that I can't use (the first one I picked up was a later year with the different connector plugs).

Todd

• 8 months later...
Loren,

Thanks for the PM. After comparing the pinouts it doesn't appear that it is a pinout compatiblity problem. It would appear that the cluster in not compatible eventhough the pinouts are the same as are the plugs. Perhaps it is what you suggest, the difference with egas etc. Perhaps it has something to do with the traction control integrated into the ABS on the C4.All the gauges function correctly, with the exception of the fuel level gauge being incorrect just the ABS and low brake fluid idiot lights are lit. Oh well, now I have 2 996 clusters that I can't use (the first one I picked up was a later year with the different connector plugs).

Todd

Hi, did you solve the cluster problem in the end? I have a 996 C2 cluster 1998 with Tiptronic which I want to install on my 1998 non tiptronic 2.5 Boxter.

Any suggestions?

Kare, Spain