Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

G'day all,

In preparation for the arrival of the 997, I wanted to get some opinons on Zymol. In the UK it seems to be loved, in Japan it is not recommended by the Porsche Dealers. Apparently, the acid rain can screw up the finish with the Zymol - sounds weird to me too!

What do you guys think? And where can you buy it in LA / Beverely Hills?

Appreciate your comments!

The golden rule with Zymol is that less is more. When doing an area you don't want to cover the entire area with it. I found the most effective way after using Zymol Concours for 5 years is to make a grid pattern with your fingers and wipe down with very little pressure until it glosses over. As far as acid rain...wouldn't acid rain be bad for the paint with or without zymol? chemically zymol has no active ingredients to react with any external elements.

I think the rumor from japan comes from the fact that Zymol is not compatible with japanese paint that's why they make a Zymol Japon espically for Japanese cars.

Hi Keyvan Good point. The guy at the OPC said that Zymol left cars blotchy after rain....he seemed to think that the Japanese waxes work better. No reason to doubt him personally but his logic perhaps, I'm from the UK and it rains way more and I doubt its much cleaner than Japanese rain and most UK Porky owners live by Zymol.....so I think I will go for it. Also, in Japan you can have the car 'paint protected' when you buy it, costs about USD 600.00 but it really makes the car shine and you only need to wash it with water for the first two months or so. My 2003 C2 looked stunning (basalt black) the 997 is also in Basalt Black so I am sure it will look just as 'horny'

Zymol is a fine carnauba wax, if somewhat expensive, however, the durability of it is limited (like most carnauba based products). You will need to reapply often if your car is subject to the elements on a regular basis. If the car is garage queen and only driven occasionally then the protection issue is not as important (and the carnaubas last much longer). If the car is a daily driver you may want to consider something with more durability and protection like a synthetic wax or a sealant. These products are much more durable, especially if you live an climate where the car will be subject to heat. Carnauba do not hold up well in very hot climates.

Brian

Thanks for the reply, the OPC said the same sort of thing. Japan is very very hot in summer. Last year we had 45 consecutive days of 40 centigrade plus temperatures!!! Any synthetic or sealant recommendations?

Well servo,

i don't have any issues with Zymol based in North Wales, and boy does it rain here.

I've tried Rejex, and its pants in the UK weather - it doesn't bead rain water like Zymol, and after a week it doesn't bead at all. I've tried it straight onto the freshly washed paintwork and over cleaner fluid.

I'm back to Zymol, which i love - yes you need to apply every 6 weeks, but its less than an hour to do, and HD Cleanse twice a year. I've got loads of polishes and waxes in the garage, all bought through curiosity. I haven't found anyhting that shines or protects like Zymol.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience Percymon, I will give it a shot I think. Read an advert for Swissol in the Christophorus magazine, sounds like a good product too.....I wish choosing wax was as easy as choosing a blinkin' car!

I'm a fan of Zymol. Concours is expensive but you have a pricey motor so why not spoil it. Best thing about Concours is you apply with your hand - its great for your skin and gives a wonderful shine.

Jonathan

997 Cab tip (UK)