Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Any help would be appreciated. Picked up a 2000 996 cabriolet with a few "bugs". slowly trying to sort them out. My trade is a dealer tech (but for a Domestic brand) so am not quite so fluent in Porsche systems.....but very fluent in understanding body/wiring/automotive systems.

here is the first "bug" I am dealing with

I noticed the dome lights don't work, either when the drivers door is opened....or with the rocker switch on the lights.- with the ignition off....

but..... everything seems to work normal when the ignition is in the run position. Is there a dome overide switch elsewhere?

I also noticed that when I turn the ignition off, -and open door (or not regardless)....the cluster always stays "awake"  for a while- is this normal. The radio always shuts off after about 5 seconds of turning ignition to off...but not the cluster. Do these cars have a RAP (retained accessory power?).....and does it work with a door switch? The window slight up/down works fine so I would assume all the switches in the handle/latch should be ok.

I have no wiring diagrams and could only find a 2002 owners manual; so my understanding of this system is limited.

On a different subject, I would also like the wiring diagram for the convertible top.....to see if I can modify it's PITA operation a bit more to how I think it should work....(without buying a SmartTop module).. is there any chance of finding schematics online? If not, I guess I could call Porsche dealer on monday and have them fax me a copy.

Does anybody know if the  inputs to the module (such as speed) are digital?....or analog ...... as is the convertible module on a canbus (if it even existed in  Porsche back then).

• Moderators

Before going to be done useless work or made costs, check with a diagnostic/programming device the status of the control boxes, probably they sould be returned in "Vehicle Handover" modus. Sometimes they jump back into factory mode.