Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Key in door lock will not work

Hello. I have a 1998 ROW coupe. I had a driver door lock that would jam when it was in the sun for a while. The window would drop, but the lock would not release. It would take several lock/unlock cycles before the lock would release. I just replaced the lock mechanism, and now, when you use the key in the door, it will not lock. The key fob can lock the door remotely, but the key in the door does nothing.

When I lock the door, I get a double flash of the turn signals, the dash LED double flashes for 10 sec then goes to slow flash. When I unlock, I get the turn signal flash but the alarm horn beeps twice. Is there something I need to do to reset the door lock? Is there a "learn" procedure I need to complete to get the key to work correctly again?

Thanks!

• Moderators

The connecting rod between the lock cylinder and the door lock mechanism is not connected properly or defective. You will have to start over, the connecting rod looks like a mini oar, the flat end of the rod falls into a groove of the door lock. Since the remote controle turns itself off after about six days, this is a problem whitch must be solved as soon as possible.

At least it saves you a trip to Behbehani :-)

That's no kidding! Those guys are SLOW! Anyways, Pulled the door off, got the lock lever back in place and all is good. Also figured out that the "fits 996 and 986" door locks actually don't work on my 1998 model. The electrical portion would not activate correctly, thus the double beep when unlocking. I swapped the electrical part and used the newer mechanical part. Now it works perfectly.

Thanks!!