Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche Factory Tester

Any OBDII tester that uses the ISO9141 hardware implementation layer (K-line) will work to read generic P-codes from the ECM. However, as you suggest, I don't think there is anything available aftermarket to read diagnostic trouble codes from the other modules in the car (air bag, PCM, ABS etc). A lot of the newer cars have the modules communicate over the CAN bus, but I don't know if there is a connection to the CAN bus at the diagnostic connector.

However, even if the CAN bus does go to the diagnostic connector, the software for the diagnostic machine will have to be written to decipher the Porsche protocol. Its a bit like there being a number of devices that use RS232, but unless you know the comms protocol, if you connected to it you would just get garbage.

A person/company that could (but unfortunately won't) tackle this is Uwe Ross from Ross Tech LLC, author and distributor of Vag-Com for VW, Audi SEAT & Skoda vehicles. This program is just as good as the official workshop VAS5051/2, the equivalent of the PIWIS for Porsche. Unfortunately, the potential market for a reverse engineered PIWIS, is too small to substantiate development.

I have intimate knowledge of the pitfalls of support when it comes to Porsche. I know how small the market is, consequently, I'm not surprised at the limited support (none) of other systems testers. However there is one tester that I'm investigating as we speak.

It's just that Porsche tester is SO EXPENSIVE. This is done on purpose to reign in us 'INDEPENDENTS". Keep us "share croppers", or less. Having been employed by Porsche for several years, I'm familiar with their "paranoid complex". A CONTINUING SAGA OF SADNESS. Sadness because "WE" in the independent field have realistically helped in escalating this machine to it's current stature(on street and track), with a continuing "boot in our ***" approach by Porsche AG.

I believe that the only reason they even offer the equipment is to appease any critique of their attitude of "us". It is totally disingenuiness on their part. The VERY STUPID (Porsche management) just can't expand their understanding of how the aftermarket could have escalated the position in the market, had they (stupid) been supportive of "we" (smart). Maybe they should be scared "****less". Come to think about it, they cannot even get into the minds of Americans to begin with, even WITH PCNA on board.

The pricing is supposedly similar to dealer costs, however we know that the dealer has significant advantage based on new car sales profit, which "we" have none. You see, that in of itself proves they realistically have no intention to "look to the future" in a potentially volatile marketplace. Maybe they should be more concerned about how they have "hamstrung" "us" to begin with and readdress the whole mindset.

Any OBDII tester that uses the ISO9141 hardware implementation layer (K-line) will work to read generic P-codes from the ECM. However, as you suggest, I don't think there is anything available aftermarket to read diagnostic trouble codes from the other modules in the car (air bag, PCM, ABS etc). A lot of the newer cars have the modules communicate over the CAN bus, but I don't know if there is a connection to the CAN bus at the diagnostic connector. 

However, even if the CAN bus does go to the diagnostic connector, the software for the diagnostic machine will have to be written to decipher the Porsche protocol. Its a bit like there being a number of devices that use RS232, but unless you know the comms protocol, if you connected to it you would just get garbage.

A person/company that could (but unfortunately won't) tackle this is Uwe Ross from Ross Tech LLC, author and distributor of Vag-Com for VW, Audi SEAT & Skoda vehicles. This program is just as good as the official workshop VAS5051/2, the equivalent of the PIWIS for Porsche. Unfortunately, the potential market for a reverse engineered PIWIS, is too  small to substantiate development.

• 1 month later...
I have intimate knowledge of the pitfalls of support when it comes to Porsche.  I know how small the market is, consequently, I'm not surprised at the limited support (none) of other systems testers.  However there is one tester that I'm investigating as we speak.

It's just that Porsche tester is SO EXPENSIVE.  This is done on purpose to reign in us 'INDEPENDENTS".  Keep us "share croppers", or less.  Having been employed by Porsche for several years, I'm familiar with their "paranoid complex".  A CONTINUING SAGA OF SADNESS.  Sadness because "WE" in the independent field have realistically helped in escalating this machine to it's current stature(on street and track), with a continuing "boot in our ***" approach by Porsche AG.

I believe that the only reason they even offer the equipment is to appease any critique of their attitude of "us".  It is totally disingenuiness on their part.  The VERY STUPID (Porsche management) just can't expand their understanding of how the aftermarket could have escalated the position in the market, had they (stupid) been supportive of "we" (smart).  Maybe they should be scared "****less". Come to think about it, they cannot even get into the minds of Americans to begin with, even WITH PCNA on board.

The pricing is supposedly similar to dealer costs, however we know that the dealer has significant advantage based on new car sales profit, which "we" have none.  You see, that in of itself proves they realistically have no intention to "look to the future" in a potentially volatile marketplace.  Maybe they should be more concerned about how they have "hamstrung" "us" to begin with and readdress the whole mindset. 

A person/company that could (but unfortunately won't) tackle this is Uwe Ross from Ross Tech LLC, author and distributor of Vag-Com for VW, Audi SEAT & Skoda vehicles. This program is just as good as the official workshop VAS5051/2, the equivalent of the PIWIS for Porsche. Unfortunately, the potential market for a reverse engineered PIWIS, is too  small to substantiate development.

Hey Look a work around for the PST2 tester. The Scoop is that these Guys bought these testers in Germany from a Porsche house going out of Business, It's a laptop running the same software.

http://www.europeantransmissions.com/pst2.htm

Dennis