Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 carrera 4s or 997 carrera s?

Hey Guys!

I'm having a hard deicison on deciding which of the two to get:

2004 996 Carrera 4S with 350miles, Porsche Certified, and negotiated down to $78k or a 2005-6 997 Carrera S brand new (but I have to order it), probably around $86k.

Any advice? How do the 2 cars compare? I need it for a daily drive to work in New York City. Won't be driving too much over the limit since of traffic and the police =)

Thanks!

-Jason

I bought a 2003 C4S at about your price point last year at this time with similar miles. It has been a great car, but the 997S was not available then and I have to say if it was I might have one. Doug

I bought a 2003 C4S at about your price point last year at this time with similar miles.  It has been a great car, but the 997S was not available then and I have to say if it was I might have one. Doug

hey, do you feel it's strange that a person would trade in a car at 350miles? do you think the previous owner took the break in period seriously? any major problems since you got your 4s? and how much did you get it for?

The car had never been registered, it was driven by the dealer only. The only problem was a dead battery on cold day in January that I replaced. The final number was $76,000 down from $09,000. So far I'm thinking it was a pretty good deal. Now you are making me nervous.

I'd not buy the C4S given that it was a demo at dealer. New car that was test driven repeatedly without proper break-in is not what you want in a high end car.

Order it new. You'll have the option to get exactly what you want.

At that price-differential, the 997S is by far the best option. Technology-wise the 997S is a superior car. Another thing to consider maybe is that 996C4S models may experience value-drops within less than 6 months due to the arrival of the 997C4S (due for October from what I hear).

P.S. How long would you need to wait for delivery of a 997S?