Jump to content

Server Lease Renewal/Software Licenses

Our yearly server lease, software licenses, as well as hardware operating costs, ARE due Dec 6th, 2021. Our current donations have fallen far short of the funds we need to renew. Please remember the RennTech.org community is Member supported so please consider a donation to help...  THANK YOU!

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dropped some plastic pieces down vent lines that lead to the turbochargers


Recommended Posts

Long story short, tried to remove some broken off barbs from the T connection of AOS and turbo vent lines, 08 CTT.

 

I ended up crushing them inside the vent hoses and sucking most pieces out with a shop vac w\ attachment.  Cant help but feel that some may have dropped deeper down the vent lines that lead to both turbos.  Vac'd for a while but nothin but oil mist.

 

At this point not sure what to do, leave the lines alone or try to replace or blow them through with compressed air?

 

The lines are really tough to get to especially on the drivers side.  

 

Can the turbos get damaged by the small plastic pieces or are they going to get blown out into the exhaust?  Is there any media in the lines supposedly for fire retardation?

 

Really trying to stay away from having to disconnect or replace those lines.

 

The lines suck the oil mist and blow by into the turbos right?  Then what?  From what it looks like the vent inlet is closer to exhaust, im hoping that maybe the vents vent into exhaust and not back into the pressure pipe through the turbo?

 

Any thoughts are appreciated..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, turbonator5000 said:

Long story short, tried to remove some broken off barbs from the T connection of AOS and turbo vent lines, 08 CTT.

 

I ended up crushing them inside the vent hoses and sucking most pieces out with a shop vac w\ attachment.  Cant help but feel that some may have dropped deeper down the vent lines that lead to both turbos.  Vac'd for a while but nothin but oil mist.

 

At this point not sure what to do, leave the lines alone or try to replace or blow them through with compressed air?

 

The lines are really tough to get to especially on the drivers side.  

 

Can the turbos get damaged by the small plastic pieces or are they going to get blown out into the exhaust?  Is there any media in the lines supposedly for fire retardation?

 

Really trying to stay away from having to disconnect or replace those lines.

 

The lines suck the oil mist and blow by into the turbos right?  Then what?  From what it looks like the vent inlet is closer to exhaust, im hoping that maybe the vents vent into exhaust and not back into the pressure pipe through the turbo?

 

Any thoughts are appreciated..

I'm assuming your referring to the pipe number 2 or check valve number 1 in the second pictured diagram? Which plugs into the back of the  suction elbow number 19 in the first pictured diagram? 

There is no screen or media I know off in them pipes to catch debris. 

I suggest you don't start the engine and remove carefully pipe 19 (if your careful no bits should have reached the turbo yet, they should be stuck in the pipe bend) and clean everything thoroughly, you do not want plastic going through your turbo impellor! Have you seen the prices of parts............ spare a few hours and address the issue is my advice. 

 

Remove the air cleaner entire box for better access. 

Good luck. 

 

 

 

IMG_20161210_194622.png

IMG_20161210_195719.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply!  Definitely not what I wanted to hear.  The vents that need to get cleared are 16 and 30.. I can most likely disconnect 16 and move it enough to get some pressurized air to blow through it, however number 30 connection is right under the turbo and it will be very difficult.. I guess this is what I have to do.

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, turbonator5000 said:

Thanks for the reply!  Definitely not what I wanted to hear.  The vents that need to get cleared are 16 and 30.. I can most likely disconnect 16 and move it enough to get some pressurized air to blow through it, however number 30 connection is right under the turbo and it will be very difficult.. I guess this is what I have to do.

image.png

Lol no where near the AOS at the front he he. 

The turbo vent lines are rigid pipes and a total nightmare to remove. How big are these plastic bits and do you really think there is anything in there still? 

I don't know what to advise now. 

Some clown epoxy resin the broken T pipe on mine which I found when the indy dropped the engine for head gasket job. 

Replaced the T part which runs back to the pcv hoses for each valve cover bank connection on the 06 ctt. 

 

Out of interest when you vacuum what amount of vacuum was required to get anything to come out vapors etc, also when you pressurised it how much to get air flowing through? The reason I ask is I was searching for air leaks and found this T area covered in oil and dirt, I blew and sucked the pipe to see if any leaks but it actually felt blocked. 

I wonder what is the effects of a blocked turbo vent is and how it symptoms itself? Extra Oil consumption maybe? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

failed to even get close to loosening the hard line on passenger side.. will need to order an additional crowfoot wrench for the line i think its 20mm, the bottom flare nut is 17mm.. may have to buy the porsche manual just to peek at the procedure. looks like if i can loosen 2/3 of the brakets that hold the line i can move it enough to get a hose on it, provided i can loosen the flare nuts.

 

i hooked up a large shop vac to the line and made sure no air escaped around it, sucked for 10 min each side, coated the inside of the vac hose with a significant amount of oil mist.

 

if i knew how that line was being pressurized and where in the turbo it was dumping its contents i could make a better decision if there is risk of damaging the turbo, if it was just getting blown out of exhaust then i would take my chances.

 

i wonder how much pressure that line builds and i assume it flows into the turbo out of the aos covers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, turbonator5000 said:

failed to even get close to loosening the hard line on passenger side.. will need to order an additional crowfoot wrench for the line i think its 20mm, the bottom flare nut is 17mm.. may have to buy the porsche manual just to peek at the procedure. looks like if i can loosen 2/3 of the brakets that hold the line i can move it enough to get a hose on it, provided i can loosen the flare nuts.

 

i hooked up a large shop vac to the line and made sure no air escaped around it, sucked for 10 min each side, coated the inside of the vac hose with a significant amount of oil mist.

 

if i knew how that line was being pressurized and where in the turbo it was dumping its contents i could make a better decision if there is risk of damaging the turbo, if it was just getting blown out of exhaust then i would take my chances.

 

i wonder how much pressure that line builds and i assume it flows into the turbo out of the aos covers.

My understanding of the system..........

 

The valve covers have a vacuum pressure which is balanced between bank 1+2 by a connecting pipe part 19 which has a small pipe which runs down to the back of engine  T and then to each turbo vent oil collection point via those rigid metal pipes. 

 

Therefore the vacuum is sucking (venting) the oil vapors from the turbo (obviously very hot around the turbo lubrication creating vapors which need condensing back into a liquid) up into to valve covers. Then the AOS part 14 (which is mounted on the bank 2 front end 10cm diameter circle black cap) separates the oil and air allowing oil to drain into bank 2 head whilst the air is sucked past the 3 way check valve part 1 into the bank 2 turbo inlet during acceleration via pipes 2+6. This point at the AOS is where you could install a Catch Can as some turbo car owners have. 

 

So if this theory is correct the plastic bits won't actually go inside the turbo inlet or exhaust turbines but could get either logged in the oil collector and possibly block/restrict oil flow to the turbo, or block the venting vapors, or get blown/suvked up into the valve covers and floating around in the valve train. 

 

How much debris do you really think went in there? 

IMG_20161211_090241.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ok so i had another go at it and suprisingly got both of the flare nuts off with a 19mm crowfoot wrench and some luck.. will post some pics up, maybe helps someone in the future.

 

I feel like a few of the bits of the old barb that i crushed inside both hoses on each side slid down into the hard lines.

 

you description really helps too, thank you so much, its a plus that the line vents into the valvecovers, and i completely agree that they may become blocked and cause other issues, so i will try to clean them.

 

i will first try to vacuum them out again and since ive opened them up, there will be more flow, hope that gets the pieces.. ill empty the vac and then see if it caught anything.

 

i will then blow them through both ways, normal flow direction first with compressed air, that ought to do it, once i put everything back, should be good to go, originally not knowing where those hard lines went i thought those pieces ended up in the crank case or the heads, so i am now slightly optimistic.

 

I am planning on replacing the vacuum pump, fuel pump and the whole cooling setup, pipes,pump and also the block that now comes with a screw in barb, hoses, etc., may replace those hard vent lines too, we see.

 

I have just been discovering a lot of hoses that needed replacing as i was chasing down leaks, so thats what ive been doing.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, turbonator5000 said:

ok so i had another go at it and suprisingly got both of the flare nuts off with a 19mm crowfoot wrench and some luck.. will post some pics up, maybe helps someone in the future.

 

I feel like a few of the bits of the old barb that i crushed inside both hoses on each side slid down into the hard lines.

 

you description really helps too, thank you so much, its a plus that the line vents into the valvecovers, and i completely agree that they may become blocked and cause other issues, so i will try to clean them.

 

i will first try to vacuum them out again and since ive opened them up, there will be more flow, hope that gets the pieces.. ill empty the vac and then see if it caught anything.

 

i will then blow them through both ways, normal flow direction first with compressed air, that ought to do it, once i put everything back, should be good to go, originally not knowing where those hard lines went i thought those pieces ended up in the crank case or the heads, so i am now slightly optimistic.

 

I am planning on replacing the vacuum pump, fuel pump and the whole cooling setup, pipes,pump and also the block that now comes with a screw in barb, hoses, etc., may replace those hard vent lines too, we see.

 

I have just been discovering a lot of hoses that needed replacing as i was chasing down leaks, so thats what ive been doing.

 

 

Some pictures would be great for understanding what you've done and other people not familiar will be like Wtf are talking about? hehe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually another issue i am having as a result of the car sitting around for two months as i have been doing a lot of work to it,

 

is that the front air suspension has let out all the air from me jacking it up 20 times,. regulation is still off but as i was jacking it/lowering it once, it just let all the air out from the passenger side,. 

 

hope its not a suspension failure, i think my battery got discharged and it let the air out.

 

hoping for the best, but from reading online, i will try to slightly jack the car up so its off the ground and when i start it and try to regulate that way, hope i wont or havent any damage and\or the front eill adjust to match the back which is in highest setting.. ive read some guys had to manualy let the air out of the back before it started to work again, hope i wont have to do that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep had this happen. What I did was disconnect and reconnect battery. Then go for a slow short drive to let the car see the steering angle sensor, speed sensor and some other stuff. It will then pump up to its set height. I forgot to turn regulation off once and If it doesn't reset itself you will need to recalibrate it, I used my vagcom vcds to do it and it works fine (there is a knack to getting the value to be accepted by rocking the car forward or back, even I drive it in gear forward and reverse to find the spot where the software will accept the value input. Since that time with regulation off before jacking it will always set itself when you drive alittle way. 

This is all assuming your battery is ok, the air compressor pump is working, no leaks in the system and no other electrical faults like relief soleniod valve open allowing air to escape from system. 

My front struts do sag when parked sometimes normally the passenger side. It pumps up quickly and no fault codes so I haven't bothered looking into it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ok then i think i will just warm it up then drive it around the parking lot instead of jacking it up slightly, i just read that someone had an airbag explode on them after the air was let out so this what i was affraid of.

 

another thing i am noticing is that drivers side turbo vent hard line may be hard to put back on, unless i can get to it from the cat, worst case i am thinking that i will have to loosen the motor mounts and jack the engine few inches to give myself some clearance, will report back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.