Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi hoping for some help for my 2005 Cayenne 3.0 131K miles!

Last night after getting out of movie my Cayenne started but just as I got from parking lot onto road it sputtered and died.  It would restart and would go 10-15 feet and died multiple times.  Same thing happened this morning.

Thinking it may be the fuel pump (through this forum), I tried pulling #14 fuse and still same problem.  If I keep it in park, it would idle a bit but sputter, then would idle a bit longer if I gave a little gas pedal but still would sputter and die after 15-20 seconds.

I put fuse #14 back and pulled #13 fuse and Cayenne will not start.  I got it towed home into driveway.

Using my code reader, Cayenne is not throwing any codes.  Fuel filter replaced 3 years ago at 90K miles.

Any input appreciated!

Thanks

Thank you for reply!

I don't have the equipment to do fuel pressure/volume delivery test.  I replaced fuel filter myself 3 yrs ago and wasn't too bad of a job.  I'm thinking of replacing both fuel pumps and fuel filter myself now and if that doesn't fix take it to mechanic.

The fuel tank is just above 1/2 full.  Could that be the reason why pulling fuse #14 made no effect?  If so, should I fill up the tank and try it again?

Thanks again!

• Moderators

The fuel pressure test port is under the engine cover (which needs to be removed). step.  Once you have the cover off, the "fuel gallery" is the y-shaped tube (carries the fuel around the injectors) that runs on both sides on the intake manifold. It's the only silver metal tube there. On the very front ends of this y-tube, you will see black twist-off covers (similar to those found on a tire valve stem). Remove these and you can access the relief valves (they look like the inside of a valve stem). off, the "fuel gallery" is the y-shaped tube (carries the fuel around the injectors) that runs on both sides on the intake manifold. It's the only silver metal tube there. On the very front ends of this y-tube, you will see black twist-off covers (similar to those found on a tire valve stem). Remove these and you can access the relief valves (they look like the inside of a valve stem).

The caps in your second picture are the AC lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.  I wasted probably a day total trying to test the fuel pressure.  That port needed an adapter to fit the Autozone kit.  Then the Cayenne wouldn't stay on running long enough to check the pressure anyways.

Decide to order and replace both left and right fuel pumps along with fuel filter on the left side.  As most posters have mentioned previously, a mess of lines in there but not all that hard a job.  Just be patient that's all.

Cayenne running great now.

Thanks!

Ordered from Sonnen Porsche as below.  Only need one of the Angled Pipe Flange though.

955-620-931-01

Fuel Pump Left Fuel

$289.70

$289.70

955-620-911-01

Angled Pipe Flange W

$9.14

$18.28

955-201-133-01

Fuel Pump Assembly Gasket

$9.64

$19.28