Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Climate Control Unit - Part Number Confusion

Hello! I'm experiencing some confusion with part numbers for the Climate Control Unit in a 996/986. Hoping someone here can help clarify things for me.

I’m looking to replace the Climate Control Unit in my 996 (2001). Looking through eBay I found one that not only works, but looks brand new. It’s part number is: 996-653-101-10

I pulled the one out of my car, and its part number is: 996-653-101-03

I pulled the one out of my Boxster 986 (1997) and its part number is: 996-653-101-00

In PET, there’s two other potential part numbers: 996-653-101-08 and 996-653-101-09 (and several others I've found on the internet, such as 01, 05, and 07)

The problem is that all of these look the same. They all have the same connectors on the back, controls on the front, and the display is the same on all of them. The only difference I can find is the color of the plastic in the back that no one will ever see because it’s mounted in the dash.

Can these be used interchangeably? If I bought 996-653-101-10 and replaced my current unit (996-653-101-03) in my 996, would it work?

ccu.jpg

Edited by dyerhaus
Typo

3 hours ago, Loren said:

According to Porsche (for your 1997 Boxster) only these part numbers will work:

996-653-101-03 EFR

996-653-101-CX EFR

I'm replacing the unit in my 996, but PET says the same thing for that as well. The problem is finding that exact part number in the condition I want (new is way too expensive). I've found other part numbers in the condition I want, and they all look the same. I'm willing to bet they all work too, I'd just like to find a definitive answer. I work in the computer business, and every computer manufacturer (just like car manufacturers) make certain parts for certain products, but that doesn't mean other parts won't work - the manufacturer just doesn't "support" them. For example, I have the Porsche Classic Radio Navigation system in my 996, but it's only supported by Porsche in Air-Cooled models.

1 hour ago, Loren said:

The display is an issue in my Boxster (986), so I'll be using that fix for that. The 996, however, has a minor display issue but really has functionality issues. One of the buttons doesn't work and it can't seem to work in "automatic" mode to save its life.